Need advice for Roatan trip, Spring 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey, guys,
My wife and I want to dive Roatan in April or May, 2019. We need advice on good, economical places to staay and dive. We don't want to go too cheap, but money is a bit tight. We would like to do some shore dives and a couple boat dives, too. We've heard that tank rentals are difficult to get.

We would appreciate any advice you might be able to offer.

Thanks.

Perfect time of year.

Tank rentals for off prem use isn't happening.

Shore dives? This isn't what Roatan is known for. The few extant are AI resort access.

You can buy ala carte diving at 10 for $350 at any West End/Bay day dive op. If you want more, you will do better at an AI. Anthony Key is always BOGO, but their advertised shore dive is not well regarded. At CoCo View you can get 27+ dives in a week for $200/day with room and three meals, certainly the best shore dive on the island if not the Caribbean. Fantasy is a dump with a good dive op and great diving nearby, similar shore access as CCV.

What I'm saying is that you can do Roatan on the cheap, or you can do it economically. It all depends on the quantity of diving you want.

How many dives do you want in that precious vacation week?

If you don't want to stay in one of the AI resorts look at the shops in West End. Check out West End Divers website at their dive and stay packages. Looks like they have more options now than when I went but I stayed at the Mariposa Lodge and was very happy with it. Their packages include 10 dives but you can add as many as you want for $35 each. West end divers have a board set up in their shop of 3 dives each day. You just sign up for the dives you want to do. When looking at prices just keep in mind taxes are not included, hotels are around 20% if I remember right.

If you don't want to stay in one of the AI resorts look at the shops in West End. Check out West End Divers website at their dive and stay packages. Looks like they have more options now than when I went but I stayed at the Mariposa Lodge and was very happy with it. Their packages include 10 dives but you can add as many as you want for $35 each. West end divers have a board set up in their shop of 3 dives each day. You just sign up for the dives you want to do. When looking at prices just keep in mind taxes are not included, hotels are around 20% if I remember right.

I checked out West End Divers. Looks like a good op. They offer stay and dive packages for $500 per person. Forgive my ignorance in such matters, but is this per night or for the whole 7 days?

I wrote a review of Subway Watersports and Turquoise Bay Resorts a couple of years ago. I'd go again in a heartbeat. They run specials that make it too cheap not to go, you just have to catch the right airfare.

Jay

I checked out West End Divers. Looks like a good op. They offer stay and dive packages for $500 per person. Forgive my ignorance in such matters, but is this per night or for the whole 7 days?
That would be $500 x2 for 7 days add another $200 for tax though.

West End Divers are fabulous. Really enjoy diving with them. I've had a 100+ dives with them.

Checkout Seabreeze Inn. Good value but the beds are really hard so if that's a problem for you, put a small foamy layer or two into a couple of compression bags in your suitcase and that solves that. Make sure they know you want to stay in the back of the place and not in any of the front units.

Find out what place they are offering before taking the $490 pkg. The way their website reads to me, it is not at Mariposa, though I could be wrong about that.

Look at a West End map. See the area around the water taxi stop - that's where the loud bars are - stay somewhere else.Anything east of the main road into town will be quieter.

I have heard recently that a shore dive to a known dive site is possible off Sueno del Mar's beach - also that they're one of few places that will rent tanks for off-site use.Have not verified either but it seems possible as there's sort of a small point that the property (and another next door) are on.

Nice thing about the West End is you don't need a car - there's about a dozen dive operations within 1/2 mile - most keep their boats across the street.
The taxi stand is across from Coconut Tree Divers building and they work cheap. About the only fixed cost is I believe it's still $25 from the airport Most rides around the nearby area were under $10.
And more than a dozen decent restaurants from small cheap places to arguably the best on Roatan - Ooloonthoo. We also liked Tong's Thai and Argentinean Grille. Cheap, filliing chicken is at Rotisserie Chicken - they have a few outside tables or take it back to your apt. Woody's Market is just past Argentinean Grille

If you do the bogo at AKR - it's about 10mins east of town. So it gives you something to do since AKR is pretty isolated. Doc is right on with his comments including shore diving. We found two possibilities but never found anyone who would rent us tanks for use off-site.

A quieter but stilll accessible area is east of Half Moon Bay on the point. Half Moon Resort is there - it's where the Stanley Sub is kept. then around the point is Cocolobo, Seagrape Plantation and Posada Los Orchideas. Cocolobo is very nice, probably one of the more upscale properties in the area. No dive shop on site and dinner is a walk to the West End. I rented a house next door. Seagrape is older but has an on-site dive shop. Posada is around the point and looks into the next bay over. From any of them it's a 5-10min. walk back to the West End - we did it every day and most nights. There's a path and a road you don't see on most maps - it lets out by HMR.

Seemed safe to me. We dove with Coconut Tree and left our gear there all week except for the shark and dolphin dives.

The West End Wall area has a lot of good dives just a few minutes out by boat.So close that most shops return to the dock between dives. From there they're not afraid to go east past AKR or all the way west - there's several good dives off the west point of the island. Native Sons even goes around the point to dive Mary's Place once a week we did it by taking a van over to Barefoot Cay - it's 5mins. off their dock. Our 2nd dive was the Prince Albert off Cocoview,

As mentioned most of the prices being quoted are weekly - IMO the prices are surpressed on most things to attract business since the airfare is often among the highest. Everything we did, including 3 specialty dives, our 20ish total dive package, all meals etc. was around $1500/wk pp. and our house rental was $1500 split by 3. You could do it for a lot less - there's plenty of decent rooms/small apts. - some with kitchens for well under $100/nt. Watch for the food trucks most mornings - they sell nice looking produce on ice - we bought from them. Don't drink the water..lol - most offer R/O water in plastic bottles from a local source.

... At CoCo View you can get 27+ dives in a week for $200/day with room and three meals, certainly the best shore dive on the island if not the Caribbean. ...

You have to be joking. Best in the caribbean? Yeah, right. Take a look: CCV - VS Bonaire -

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom