Need advice for lighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jalvare2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning to add lights to my video housing, and I would like to know about using 50W or 100W strobes. -Is it better two 50W than one 100W ? are the shadows reduced?
-comments?
Thanks.:confused:

Yes, I think you would be better off with two lower wattage lights than one large one. Having two lights will allow you to light your subject from both sides, so you will have a nice even light with fewer shadows than with one light.

I agree with Bill, and depending on what lens you are using, you may also need to diffuse your lights to get even coverage over the whole scene.

Who's got a 100 watt video lighting system...outside of the commercial guys? 50 watts HID's don't come cheap either.

X

Maybe he is talking about halogen ?

Cheers. That makes more sense. I've been shooting HID's so long I could not see myself going back to halogen and the yellow-tinge you get with it.

X

I like my cheap halogens. Manual white balance usually gets rid of the yellow tinge. I never liked the always-on concept and high price of HID.

Light & Motion's new LED lights have me interested. Instant on/off, adjustable output, and easy filters make them look like the best of halogen and HID w/o the shortfalls.

I like my cheap halogens. Manual white balance usually gets rid of the yellow tinge. I never liked the always-on concept and high price of HID.

Light & Motion's new LED lights have me interested. Instant on/off, adjustable output, and easy filters make them look like the best of halogen and HID w/o the shortfalls.

Your Indonesia video is very nice! I like all the critters and especially the Stargazer.
Fun!!! I wish I could shoot tropical once in a while. My video are often shot in near freezing temps, and rarely above 55F.

About: L & M makes innovative product. If I have a beef with them, (which I do) it is post-purchase customer service & aggressive sales. It's never as simple as a quick fix, or suggestion. The sales people will urge you to get stuff which may not be in your best interest. Solutions usually include an upgrade to a much more expensive model, or ship it to factory for service $$$. Heck, I can replace an O RIng, or source my own battery without paying a 200% markup fee. It is this type of mentality and reluctance to try & solve issues which led me to other manf. who are willing. I will include Salvo, Amphibico etc. I bet Barry at Salvo comes up with LED video light in the very near future.

X

I've heard more than a few complaints about L&M customer service. I hope other mfr. come out with their own version of LED video lights. Competition is good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom