Need advice for French Poly for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deaf diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi I am going on a Liveaboard to FP from Ragiora and disembarking in Fakarava. My GF is a newly certified diver. I am trying to decide to fly her up to Fakarava and dive for a couple days. My concern is that diving the passes would be way to challenging for a newly certified diver. Is it better for us to just hang out in Tahiti and do some reef dives that are more beginner friendly?

I think it may depend on your GF’s competence and ability as a new diver. All newly certified divers are not equally competent or self reliant. On a two tank dive in Fakarava last year, a newly certified diving pair did great going through the Northern pass, while three AOW divers had a very difficult time of it. You will have to be the initial judge as to whether she is up to the challenge, but the DM will likely want to get a look at her diving outside the pass before taking her into the pass.

I found the Northern pass in Fakarava to be more calm than Tiputa Pass in Rangiora. That said, the Northern pass is more like diving into the blue than following along a reef, so that might be intimidating to a new diver. Definitely don't take her through the middle of Tiputa Pass; that's a washing machine.

Dives from Moorea are pretty current free and Moorea is only 30 min or so from Tahiti by ferry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom