Need Advice for cruise dives please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cardbucfan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all, we are going on a cruise Thanksgiving week and will hit St. Thomas, St. Maarten and Grand Turk. All 4 of us are nitrox certified but still fairly new to diving (right at 20 dives post checkout dives). We only want to dive at 2 of the ports and are having a hard time deciding between St. Thomas and St. Maarten-getting conflicting information about the diving in each port. Since we are on a cruise we have time constraints but definitely will go with independent operators vs. the cruise excursions. Any advice would be appreciated! (don't like going below 70 feet if that makes a difference!)

Forget St Maarten. I dove with Admiralty in STT and was very satisfied.

I have dived both places multiple times. St. Thomas is a much better location for diving. Use St. Maarten for visiting the French side or America's Cup sailing.

Thanks! That is exactly what I was looking for. We probably will do the America's Cup thing on St. Maarten too.

In June we did a different itinerary but did have St Thomas and St Marteen as stops. We dove in St Thomas with St Thomas Diving Club and did the America's Cup in St Marteen. We choose STDC instead of Admiralty since they allowed us to request wreck diving in advance when making our reservation whereas Admiralty basically said it would be up to the group on the boat at the time. We very much enjoyed our dives with STDC and will use them again in the future. Even though I really enjoy diving I have to say that the America's Cup was the highlight of our cruise. Probably because it is so unique and well put together excursion.

We are headed out again on the same itinerary as you and around the same timeframe. We will likely dive in both St Thomas and St Marteen since we have already done the America's Cup. Since we now have four divers we are likely to give Admiralty a shot this time around in St Thomas. They were a little cheaper per person and don't charge to pick us up at the cruise port. Also two of our divers are fairly new and I wouldn't be comfortable taking them on the more advanced wreck dives so whatever reefs are selected by the boat\group should make for a good experience this time around.

I did Admiralty quite a long time ago (4-5 years) and they were my first outside of the states dive operator. Overall very nice, didn't like the sites all that much, wasn't wowed. I am going the week after you and am looking for a dive operator myself. We are thinking about trying to do a dive with the atlantis submarine as our wives don't dive, so they could do the sub and we could dive outside the sub. would be really cool. Let me know what you decide to do and who are you going with in Turks?

Hey all, I just booked our dives for our upcoming Thanksgiving cruise. We are diving St. Thomas and Grand Turk. Thanks for all the info. on here. I contacted three operators on both islands and it came down to one clear choice on each island.

St. Thomas I emailed Admiralty, Blue Island and Coki Beach. Coki Beach only had shore dives and they suggested we tag along with the beginners coming out from our ship. Uh, no thanks. Admiralty sounded O.K., but a little canned in their emailed response back to us. Their Nitrox cost was lower than Blue Island but everything else was the same and Blue Island has so many positive reviews on cruise critic and on Trip Advisor that we decided to pay the extra $9 per tank and go with them. They are also right next to where our ship is going to dock so we don't have to go far and can get our gear at their shop. At this point, we are the first ones booked with them that day (it's actually Thanksgiving that day!) so we get to choose where we go!

Grand Turk I emailed GTdiving, Blue Water and Oasis. Since our ship doesn't get in until 1:00 Blue Water will only do a single tank dive and since we're still fairly novice divers (around 20 post cert dives) they were insistant that we do their really small group dive for around $130 each!!!!! And that's not Nitrox! Wow! Oasis is the ship's operator and said we had to book through Princess (which was more expensive and they were booking 20 folks vs. 10). So we are going with GTdiving. The guy I spoke with was really nice and funny and we can do a two tank with them no problem. They don't offer Nitrox though, bummer.

So, I'll report back how it all goes but if anybody is researching, this is what I've found for these places.

Actually St Thomas coki beach shore dives can be pretty damn good! Now as I'm from Florida, i'm kinda spoiled when i do "vacation" dives. But Coki Beach was good by any standards.

I usually book cruise dives with one of the cruise line tours. The cruise dives tend to be simple and easy. I've had poor and good experiences with cruise operators.....never great. But then i don't expect much. of course the cruise is for eating and drinking as opposed to "diving". When i make a "dive trip" my standards are higher. We're doing a Panama Canal cruise with Princess on Dec 9 and i've booked a Grand cayman wall dive. Though i love diving in the Caymans, i am not expecting much. it's either dive or go shopping....

Back
Top Bottom