Need advice for beginning diver interested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debeucci

New
Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post. I am that newb. In fact, i'm taking my padi open water course in a month. I'm also a pretty crappy swimmer. Anyway, i'd like some advice on getting two pairs of force fins for my wife and I for our trip to Bora Bora. There's a size and weight limit so force fins seem optimal since they are smaller and easier to carry than regular fins.

Anyway, I have a few questions if the pros here can give some advice.

Is the comfort instep necessary or just highly recommended? Would I blister without it?
I'm a size 9, 9.5 so the difference for me would be a ML or L based on if I get the instep or not. I'll only be scubing over warm waters btw. It will be the same for my wife, she's an 8, 8.5, (7.5 in some shoes, who knows) so she's a medium or ML. Unfortunately, there is no place close to where we live that sells them so we'd have to almost buy them blind.

I was going to buy the original force fins but was wondering if the slim fins or the adjustable force fins were adequate for scuba as well. Would getting adjustables solve my dilemma of size because I can't try them on before ordering? I saw a pair of adjustable slim fins on the internet I was considering for my wife. Are these only for the pool?

Anyway, i'm probably asking the wrong questions so any input would be appreciated!

All I can give you is my experience:

My wife wears a Size 8 - she wears a size L with two comfort inserts when barefoot and they fit her fine with a 5 mm boot and no insert.

I wear a Size 10 and wear a size XXL - with 2 inserts for a light 1/2 tropical boot and no insert for a 5 mm with heavy soled boot or 1 insert with a 3 mm light or medium soled boot.

When I had a pair of XL I could not wear them with a heavy soled boot, but they were OK with a medium or light soled boot, no insert, or I could wear them barefoot with 1 insert.

I can wear her L barefoot or with 1 insert. I prefer them with the insert since they hug my foot better.

I prefer to wear some sort of boot - ladders and boat decks can be rough and if you do any shore diving, you will want boots of some sort. Plus, if you get certified in Chicago, you will need boots for the cold water certification dives.

Hope this helps.

My girlfriend and myself each have a pair of the Pros. Mine are XL's... and my foot is a 10 wide, I wear two inserts while bare foot and nothing extra w/ my henderson insta-dry 3mm (which have a fairly heavy sole). My girlfriends foot is a bit larger than your wifes... so I can't help much there..

I would get them big enough to wear a boot with them, then pick up the inserts incase you decided to dive barefoot. I have found, even in warm water, like TN Traveler I prefer to have a boot on most of the time. Even if you do intend on diving barefoot, you never know where you ventures will take you in the future.

Back
Top Bottom