Need advice about Lenes & Ports for Canon 500D and Sea&Sea Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kendiving

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Dear Members,

I am going to buy a Canon 500D with a Sea&Sea Housing. I have been doing a lot of research but still have a few doubts and I would like to ask some advice from any members about lenses and the ports.

For a macro lens, I’m thinking of buying a Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8. Is it a good lens to buy? Then I am thinking of buying a wet lens for the Super macro to put in front of the port.
Is it the right thing to do? Any Wet lens suggestions?

For a wide angle lens, I cannot decide between the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 and the Tokina 10-17 fisheye. I like to take wide angle photos but also some small stuff too. Which one should I pick? Any suggestions?

For the dome ports, I can’t decide between the Compact Dome Port and the Optical Dome Port. I only know things like it is made from Glass or Acrylic. The Optical Dome can take half above water, half below and also it is double the price. Are there any significant differences when you take the photos?

Thank you very much in advance for all your advice.

Ken

Hi;

Definitely the 10-17 Tokina, it's much more of an uw lens than for topside use. A fisheye lens will always give best corner sharpness. The 10-22 has corner issues.

Also the Optical Glass Port is awesome and wil be much sharper. If you're on a budget the Fisheye would be better than the Compact Dome, the later is a pretty small highly curved port.

Please contact me if you'd like a system quote, I have some of my own trays and arms that can significantly reduce the price, and with your strong Oz dollar it's even cheaper. S&S has an international warranty.

RDX 500D System, only $2939

RDX-D60%20system.JPG

Jack

Thank you very much Jack. That's very helpful advice and look like the best way to do. I will email you now. I have your email address as I just bought that focus lights and some other stuffs from you. I hope it will be here on Friday. By the way like your website. Easy to navigate, user friendly and great design.

Again! thank you very much.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom