Need a suggestion for diving in Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a brand new diver and a little nervous about my first dive trip. Any recommendations for a good operator in Grand Cayman? There are a ton out there and I don't know how to differentiate them. Thanks!

I'm a brand new diver and a little nervous about my first dive trip. Any recommendations for a good operator in Grand Cayman? There are a ton out there and I don't know how to differentiate them. Thanks!

There are a lot of dive operators on Grand Cayman and most of them have very good reputations. My only caution is to make sure that you don't get put on a dive boat servicing cruise ship passengers - that's pretty rare - it happened to us many years ago. I think most dive ops keep the cruise ships customers separate.

Where are you staying and will you be traveling with a dive buddy? Are there non-divers in your party?

Cayman University Divers is an op that we have used and we were very pleased with them.

My son and husband will be with me. They were certified about 5 years ago and have about 10 -15 dives each under their belts. We're staying at the Ritz. Several of the operators have set schedules which don't really jive with what we want to do. It's a little overwhelming....

Several of the operators have set schedules which don't really jive with what we want to do.

Most dive boat operators have set schedules; that's not unique to Grand Cayman, and I'm not sure what you're out to do. Grand Cayman has a number of shore diving sites, and that would give you greater flexibility, but explain in detail what it is you guys 'want to do.' Are you wanting to charter a boat for just you at some odd time? With how much notice? Or are you wanting 'walk in service,' hoping you can show up at the shop one day and boat will soon be available, like catching a bus?

I'm not being sarcastic; you're new and your 'co-divers' are fairly new, so I don't know how well acquainted with common dive op. practices you guys are.

Richard.

My son and husband will be with me. They were certified about 5 years ago and have about 10 -15 dives each under their belts. We're staying at the Ritz. Several of the operators have set schedules which don't really jive with what we want to do. It's a little overwhelming....

The Ritz is a beautiful and popular resort but it is expensive, and you will have a daily resort fee to pay and will eat most of your meals in restaurants and that gets expensive.

That's fine, but I just wanted to mention that there are many lovely condos on Seven Mile Beach with daily maid service where you can prepare simple meals for breakfast and lunch and then go out for one main meal per day. Just a suggestion, I love the Caymans but they are pricey and the US dollar is only worth $0.80. But hey, the Ritz is great, good for you!

When are you planning to go?

All of the dive ops on that side of the island will pick you up, either on the beach with the boat, or in a van to drive you to the marina. Or you can drive to the marina yourselves to meet the boat. I am sure that if you contact the concierge at the Ritz they will be able to suggest a dive op.

Since you are a new diver and your husband and son were certified about 5 years ago and haven't done many dives, you might want to look for a small operator and ask them to give you a more personalized experience. The dive op I mentioned, Cayman University Diver operates a small boat (no more than 6 divers) and may be able to accommodate you, see the link below.

But honestly, I don't know of any bad dive ops on Grand Cayman. Everyone has their favorites, but it is a strictly regulated and competitive business on the island and I don't think that a bad op would last very long. And Cayman diving is usually quite easy, short boat rides to the reefs and great visibility. Have a great trip!

Cayman University Divers

Most dive boat operators have set schedules; that's not unique to Grand Cayman, and I'm not sure what you're out to do. Grand Cayman has a number of shore diving sites, and that would give you greater flexibility, but explain in detail what it is you guys 'want to do.' Are you wanting to charter a boat for just you at some odd time? With how much notice? Or are you wanting 'walk in service,' hoping you can show up at the shop one day and boat will soon be available, like catching a bus?

I'm not being sarcastic; you're new and your 'co-divers' are fairly new, so I don't know how well acquainted with common dive op. practices you guys are.

Richard.

For instance, I know I want to go with a guide as I'm so new to diving. My son wants to go to several specific places he has dived before: stingray city & kittiwake. None of us really want to get up at the crack of dawn to dive, and many of the 2 tank dives begin with a wall dive which is far deeper than I want to go as a new diver. I'd prefer a 2 tank dive in "shallow" locations: 30-60 feet. I'd like to have this arranged before we arrive--spontaneity is not one of my gifts. :)

Check into Lobster Pot, located a few blocks from the cruise port. They can likely accommodate your needs, and are co-located with two other excellent dive ops, so one of them can likely work with your schedule. Also, I would not worry about using a dive op that also takes cruise ship divers. Every dive op I have used in GC has split up the divers into compatible experience groups, as much as possible. If you use Lobster Pot, you will be in good hands.

The Ritz is sort of north on Seven Mile Beach by the golf course. There's a big marina just north of it where quite a few shops keep their boats - some for north wall trips or Stingray City dives - not to be confused with the plethora of cruise snorkel trips that also go to Sandbar nearby. Plan an SRC dive also - it's the most fun you'll have in 14' of water. Just not first for you, they're a little intimidating.

My choice would be Wall to Wall but I know the owner slightly. Smaller boat, 8 divers max and more tailored to you. Ambassador Divers is another nearby option also - similar operation.Jason the owner is very much into diving, he authored the Dive365 website - lots of videos of dive sites there.

In that same area is Living the Dream divers and one of the Red Sail locations. Red Sail could have one of the bigger boats - and possibly cruise divers.

I have heard - but don't have any experience with - that Off the Wall offers a more tailored experience with the possibility of custom times if that's your issue. I have no reservations recommending Kasey at Neptunes Divers either.

There's no bad shops in Cayman, too much competition so they don't last. Here's a list of CITA registered divers - pick any of them as they all meet all the safety standards. Cayman Islands Tourism Association - Things To Do In Cayman, Cayman Culture,Cayman Islands Watersports

Since you're staying at the Ritz you might like Indigo Divers - they offer a premium experience - 6 divers max

Almost every shop working Seven Mile Beach - which is most of them - will pick you up for free.

have a good trip,

The Ritz is a beautiful and popular resort but it is expensive, and you will have a daily resort fee to pay and will eat most of your meals in restaurants and that gets expensive.

That's fine, but I just wanted to mention that there are many lovely condos on Seven Mile Beach with daily maid service where you can prepare simple meals for breakfast and lunch and then go out for one main meal per day. Just a suggestion, I love the Caymans but they are pricey and the US dollar is only worth $0.80. But hey, the Ritz is great, good for you!

When are you planning to go?

All of the dive ops on that side of the island will pick you up, either on the beach with the boat, or in a van to drive you to the marina. Or you can drive to the marina yourselves to meet the boat. I am sure that if you contact the concierge at the Ritz they will be able to suggest a dive op.

Since you are a new diver and your husband and son were certified about 5 years ago and haven't done many dives, you might want to look for a small operator and ask them to give you a more personalized experience. The dive op I mentioned, Cayman University Diver operates a small boat (no more than 6 divers) and may be able to accommodate you, see the link below.

But honestly, I don't know of any bad dive ops on Grand Cayman. Everyone has their favorites, but it is a strictly regulated and competitive business on the island and I don't think that a bad op would last very long. And Cayman diving is usually quite easy, short boat rides to the reefs and great visibility. Have a great trip!

Cayman University Divers

I will 2nd Kathy's recommendation about diving with Brad Nelson and Cayman University Divers. You will likely have his boat to yourselves and will get his undivided attention. You will also benefit from his underwater narration. You will get a listening device that attaches to your mask strap and allows you to listen to Brad during the dive. He will point things out and tell you what they are-- he will totally customize the dive experience to your skill level and desires. Also, he is completely flexible on dive times. Truly a custom experience!

FWIW, Lobster Pot is co-located with Wall to Wall (mentioned above), and Deep Blue Divers, both of which have excellent reputations as well. There is a nice wall right next to the Kittiwake which can be dived shallow or a bit deeper. In fact, every time I have been on that reef, we passed the Kittiwake as we cruised around the reef, which was in great shape in March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom