Need a new SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've had a closed SMB for the last year or so. Used it several times. This last outing, on clean up, I found I cracked the head on the valve, rendering the SMB useless. I'm preparing to replace the SMB for my next trip.

My question is what is better to get? An open ended SMB that can't break, but needs to be held under, or another closed SMB that could break? Also, the closed one is harder to deploy from depth.

I'm fairly hard on my gear :), but I'm still leaning towards the closed valve style. Once filled, it stays that way until I release the air. The open-ended ones require constant fiddling to keep full.

Any advice from the experts?

Wijbrandus:
I've had a closed SMB for the last year or so. Used it several times. This last outing, on clean up, I found I cracked the head on the valve, rendering the SMB useless. I'm preparing to replace the SMB for my next trip.

My question is what is better to get? An open ended SMB that can't break, but needs to be held under, or another closed SMB that could break? Also, the closed one is harder to deploy from depth.

I'm fairly hard on my gear :), but I'm still leaning towards the closed valve style. Once filled, it stays that way until I release the air. The open-ended ones require constant fiddling to keep full.

Just in case, I had the same thing happen on a Carter lift bag. They repaired it for no charge (from what I recall) a number of years after I bought it. If yours is a Carter, you might have the same luck.

Wijbrandus:

Robert,

do you mean an SMB that you tow throughout the dive or a DSMB that you launch from depth when you need it? (in other words, "cracked the valve????")

R..

This was a 6'+ (2m) safety sausage with a closed valve.

I kept it rolled up and tucked away in my MCPack on my backplate.

Perhaps I have the acronym wrong. This was not a tow marker for an Alpha flag or Diver Down sign.

Brand-wise, I don't recall. It was sold at the LDS. In disgust, I threw it away before thinking about possible repairs. I wasn't really all that happy with it anyway.

Diver0001:
Robert,

do you mean an SMB that you tow throughout the dive or a DSMB that you launch from depth when you need it? (in other words, "cracked the valve????")

R..
Sounds like he broke the dump valve on the SMB.

Wijbrandus:
This was a 6'+ (2m) safety sausage with a closed valve.

I kept it rolled up and tucked away in my MCPack on my backplate.

Perhaps I have the acronym wrong. This was not a tow marker for an Alpha flag or Diver Down sign.

Brand-wise, I don't recall. It was sold at the LDS. In disgust, I threw it away before thinking about possible repairs. I wasn't really all that happy with it anyway.

I see. What you're describing is a DSMB. There are open ended models with a one way thingamabob (shunt or whatever they're called) that lets the air in but not back out again. You get the best of both worlds. Open ended and no risk of it dumping.

R..

Personally, when I have to replace my current signal sausage, I'm going to replace it with one that has a pressure relief valve so that it can't be over-inflated. I've come close to over-inflating mine on a couple of occasions. Hog makes one with a pressure relief but, they're very proud of them.

You might want to look at the Zeagle Deluxe Signal Tube. It sounds like what you might be looking for. It has a duck bill opening at the bottom which you can fill by purging your regulator into it. It has a pressure relief so it can't over-inflate. And, it has a traditional oral inflator for use at the surface.

Last edited:
Halcyon makes one that I'm kind of drooling over... it's 3.3', closed system, has a stainless steel ring to clip to a spool...and at $ 125.00 it'll be a while yet. Has an over pressure exhaust valve, and the inflator post is metal - not plastic - that can either orally inflate or you connect your drysuit hose inflator to. Comes highly recommended from a tech diving instructor here who has bought almost every one on the market - and this is his favorite. His first words were, " Im totally impartial to gear - except when it comes to these SMB's..."

I know this thread is ancient, but I thought I would post a note just in case anyone finds it while researching Carter Lift Bag, Inc. They are still in business in Washington State, and still providing great service. I had one that was more than 20 years old when the oral inflation valve finally began to leak. Prior to that, I had used it as an SMB, a light duty lift bag, and an underwater marker for my entry/exit point on wall dives and night dives with a strobe attached.

In May 2017, I contacted Carter (Lawrence at 360-886-2302) to see if it could be fixed because I loved the thing. Lawrence (who I think is the manager) said to send it in and they would fix it at no charge. Other than the valve, it was in perfect shape after at least 300 dives. So I sent it in using the US Postal Service, insured for $200. The tracking info said it was delivered two days later. Having not heard from Lawrence after 10 days, I called him and he said they had never received it. Ultimately, we decided that either it was stolen from their mail receipt box, or the Postal Service simply misdelivered it to someone else. Likely the latter.

Then Lawrence did something unbelievable in today's economy--he said he would send me replacement at no charge since the error occurred on their end of the transaction, even though it was not their fault. I am now the happy owner of a new CBPF-35. Unfortunately, so far, the Postal Service (this is your government, folks) has reneged on my insurance. They will not contact Carter Lift Bag to verify the loss, or to establish value. Rather, they just keep sending me form letters saying I must have a receipt and proof of my method of payment (cancelled check, credit card statement, etc.). If I can ever get them to pay up, I will send Lawrence the money, of course.

So do they stand by their equipment? Dam right.

Last edited:
Halcyon makes one that I'm kind of drooling over... it's 3.3', closed system, has a stainless steel ring to clip to a spool...and at $ 125.00 it'll be a while yet. Has an over pressure exhaust valve, and the inflator post is metal - not plastic - that can either orally inflate or you connect your drysuit hose inflator to. Comes highly recommended from a tech diving instructor here who has bought almost every one on the market - and this is his favorite. His first words were, " Im totally impartial to gear - except when it comes to these SMB's..."

Tech and rec divers consistently recommended this one and I scoffed at the price and picked my jaw up off the floor a few times. I finally bit the bullet and got 2...one at a slight discount and one used off Scubaboard. Love it so far. Yes, others can do the job cheaper. I have another 6' DSMB with open end that allows oral inflation or purge that could also double as a lift bag. It was a little less than half the cost of this one and works fine but takes a lot of air to get it going and challenging to keep it up at surface from depth.

I've been diving more cold water lately and the Halcyon is awesome. Small enough to orally inflate without much air, large enough to be seen, small enough to easily carry or stow. The metal tip for inflation is awesome even with numb lips - no pressing against your lips or teeth to inflate and you can also use your LP which I haven't yet. It also has an over pressure valve while being closed, suitable for deploying at depth or at surface.

Who knew I would also become such a connoisseur of DSMB/SMBs? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom