Need a new 5+ mega pixel digital camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReeferBen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Which one is the best for underwater use in the 5 mega pixel or higher 500-700$ range.

I was looking at the Canon G5 and the Nikon 5700 from www.bhphotovideo.com

My Olympus housing flooded in ginnie springs and I lost my Olympus c-4000 zoom so I am on the hunt for a new camera.

Seems as though the possibilitys with the nikon 5700 are limited due to its large lens there are no lens for its ikelite housing, what should I do I like its 8x optical zoom and the fact it takes CF cards.

what was the reason for your Oly housing flooding? Does this mean your out on an Oly 5050? Looking at that rig myself and many are taking great shots with it.

Is your housing okay? Did it flood due to user error? Why not just get another C4000Z, unless of course you want to spend the money on an entirely new setup.
I flooded my PT-010 a month or so ago due to "user error". The housing is fine as I tested it. I purchased a refurb C4000Z online for $268.00 (including shipping).
I'm not so sure you will see a lot of difference in the photos between a 4 and 5 MP camera. The differences are mostly in the added features of the C5050 over the C4000.

I am certainly no photographer, nor do I play on on TV, but I adore my Sony Mavica. It was about $750. It's 5.0 mp, and writes to a CD that fits right into the camera, rather than a chip. I have taken some amazing shots with it. It rocks.

Any reason not to stick with an Olympus? Gilligan makes a good argument for another C-4000.

Get a nikon coolpix 5000 its an older model but has many housings availible for it, new one are around for $350-400 used for less. With it's above water 19mm wide angle supplimental lense and a dome port on my housing (an Aquatica), I use it for everything from 1:1.5 macro to Wide Angle. It also works ttl with normal strobes.

If you want to have a CF card, the Oly 5050 has 2 ports: one for an Xd and one for a CF

Thanks for the help. And yes it flooded due to "user error" I lent the housing to my brother on his trip and didn't check it thoughly before re using it. It turns out the port on the from was screwed on very lightly! :54:

Anyway I just figured I wanted a camera that didnt have to use smart media as theat only goes up to 129mb and for every decent shot I get I seem to take 20 bad ones so I figured on a 5 megapixel and a new housing. Anyhow I wish I could just afford a new digital rebel or C-8080. Maybe the C-5060 would be a good option what does everyone think about that versus the nikons or Canons, not alot of Canon fans?

my family love nikon cameras. Great picture quality. we used the canon before and din't like the picture quality at all.... If you have to choose between those two i would go with nikon, but for uw photography i think the olympus are still great because the housings is cheap and the camera is easy to use. So, is till recommend the 5050

I just looked, and KEH has an "Excellent +" rated C-4000 for $245 right now...

Gilligan:
Is your housing okay? Did it flood due to user error? Why not just get another C4000Z, unless of course you want to spend the money on an entirely new setup.
I flooded my PT-010 a month or so ago due to "user error". The housing is fine as I tested it. I purchased a refurb C4000Z online for $268.00 (including shipping).
I'm not so sure you will see a lot of difference in the photos between a 4 and 5 MP camera. The differences are mostly in the added features of the C5050 over the C4000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom