Need a LED Canister Light for Quarry Diving- Under $600.00. Which one to get??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As stated in the subject line. Looking for an LED Canister light for >70 Feet quarry diving. Needs to put out a ton of light and cut through dark low viz water. Only have approx $600.00. Any feedback much appreciated.

George

As stated in the subject line. Looking for an LED Canister light for >70 Feet quarry diving. Needs to put out a ton of light and cut through dark low viz water. Only have approx $600.00. Any feedback much appreciated.

George

Buy a nice princeton tec 8 aa or c-cell light and use the other $500 for a trip?

You can't cut through muddy water with more light. All you can do is make yourself appear to be a giant bright blob and make it difficult to see anything.

Whatever you get, I'd suggest trying it in the water first. I think you'll be disappointed if you spend a bunch of money and think you'll be seeing a lot farther.

In really bad viz, sometimes "no light" is even better.

flot.

Last edited:
Makes sense. Thanks for the feedback. What have you heard of Big Blue Lights. Are they worth the money? Seems they make them of all sizes and made of alluminum etc..

Makes sense. Thanks for the feedback. What have you heard of Big Blue Lights. Are they worth the money? Seems they make them of all sizes and made of alluminum etc..

Worth the money? If you're going to 100m, maybe. If you're doing recreational dives, probably not. I like small, bright and inexpensive. I'm just not going to pay $300 for a light. I've already bought a $1200 light, a $400 light and both times discovered that all I had was some expensive, fussy technology that was easily damaged and was completely outclassed by the next generation of cheap lights.

flots

Last edited:
I was able to find a 1000+ lumen home made canister light here on ScubaBoard for apx $200. It's a really nice light and will do me well for several years until the next generation of LEDs are out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom