Nedd to separate snorkel from BCD inflator mechanism

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How often do you use your snorkel? If you tend to use it on every dive, say for a surface swim, maybe this is a problem worth solving. If you never use it and only have it on your mask because that's how they start you out and you haven't questioned it yet, consider putting it someplace else, like strapped someplace or in a pocket. Some people want to keep their snorkel on their mask, some people don't want one at all, and some like to have one available but stashed away - and there are rolling and foldup snorkels made for exactly that purpose.

One thing I finally figured out was that I'm not cinching my shoulder straps on my BCD tightly. This tends to let my Transpac harness sit lower on my back, which pulls the inflator/deflator mechanism higher on my front chest (almost at my neck), making it hard to find.

I've used the snorkel a few times and found it handy, so I'm still reluctant to give it up.

I've used the snorkel a few times and found it handy, so I'm still reluctant to give it up.

Then do not give it up - just ignore us "no-snorkle" divers :D. If you are not comfortable for any reason, keep it. Keep trying to find a way to get it "out of the way" but keep it.

Just a thought, with the snorkel that I no longer use, it can slide down in its holder whick will let is sit lower and therefore closer to my inflator. Have to looked to see if you can move the snorkel up in the holder?

I'm a new diver but I'm always having trouble grabbing the BCD inflater mechanism when I want to trim bouyancy because it gets mixed up with my snorkel mouth piece. I'm using a Venture EXP wing, and wondering if a longer low pressure corrugated hose is available ? Any other suggestions appreciated.

Hi Satwar,

All Dive Rite wings are available with either 12, 16 or 22-inch corrugated hoses. Note that our 16-inch corrugated hose is the only one with a pull dump. The rest are elbow connections that you have to dump by pressing the button on the exhaust. You can order one of these from your LDS and switch it out for the one you have.

Here's the link: SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Corrugated Hoses

Best,
Kathleen

I'm a new diver but I'm always having trouble grabbing the BCD inflater mechanism when I want to trim bouyancy because it gets mixed up with my snorkel mouth piece. I'm using a Venture EXP wing, and wondering if a longer low pressure corrugated hose is available ? Any other suggestions appreciated.

You can almost certainly get a longer hose, but that's not the answer.

The real answer is to practice until you can tell the difference between the snorkel and the inflator. If you have a floppy snorkel that feels a lot like a hose, you might want to swap it for something that doesn't feel like a hose.

The other option is to get a pocket snorkel and keep it in a pocket. I can't find a picture right now, but there are very inexpensive black rubber snorkels that will happily roll up for storage.

Terry

Hi Satwar,

All Dive Rite wings are available with either 12, 16 or 22-inch corrugated hoses. Note that our 16-inch corrugated hose is the only one with a pull dump. The rest are elbow connections that you have to dump by pressing the button on the exhaust. You can order one of these from your LDS and switch it out for the one you have.

Here's the link: SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Corrugated Hoses

Best,
Kathleen

Thanks Kathleen. I really love the pull dump feature, use it all the time when I start drifting up in the water. Far easier than fumbling trying to find the exhaust button, when I start making an undesired ascent. So I think I'll just stick with the shoulder strap adjustment. Tried it out this weekend and worked like a charm, the inflator button easy to find now.

I love my Transpac harness again. Operator error.

Back
Top Bottom