necklace for the backup reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwollard

Registered
Reaction score
I am in the middle of converting from jacket style BC to the B/P and wings and DIR. and was wondering what size of bungee people were useing for their necklace on the backup? I was thinking about 1/4".

1/4" works well. You can also use surgical tubing or some thin (5mm) climbing rope you see at EMS, REI type places.

Eric

I use the bungee type of cord. The surgical tubing, when dry, seems to pull/pinch my neck and hair. You can usually get the 1/4 inch stuff left over from previous customers very cheap. I picked up about 7 or 8 feet for $1.00.

Thanks for the help. Now for one more question. I know that the bungee is held in place with the cable tie that hold the mouthpiece on, but how? Is the bungee run under the cable tie and then have knots tied in the ends to keep it from sliping out?

I used two small cable ties on each end of the bungee to create 2 small loops (the second one is for "just in case"). Then I inserted another cable tie thru the loops and around the the area where the mouthpiece is secured.

This is the way I was shown-there are probably other ways also.

bwollard,

If you use the bungee, be sure and use the marine grade of bungee, it's available at "West Marine" or any boat shop the 1/4" works just fine and you can use either method of attachment, but I find the knots under the mouthpiece zip tie works best and has less of clutter around your mouth.

The marine grade bungee is made of polyexocyproletprolene
(or something like that) and is not affected by UV or saltwater. Also the wrap is made of nylon and not cotton.

Hope this helps

ID

I've always used black surgical tubing.....I think it is 3/8 stuff, but I would have to check. Hadn't thought about going to bungee cord, but I'm always in a hood and full suit, so the rubber has never bothered my neck.

Found these at "Home Depot"

"Canopy Tarp Ties by Super Bungee" they are made out of the 1/4" black marine grade bungee as I mentioned above, come in a jar of 10 that are 12" long, work great.

"You can tell you're a tech diver if you buy more gear from Graingers than your local dive shop."

ID

Back
Top Bottom