Neck strap quick removal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travisc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Ok so I have the infamous 5050, but I am always removing the neckstrap, I am looking for a quick solid simple way to connect and disconnect it when I put it in and out of the housing, any one have any ideas? I am also looking for some good port/lens covers, any ideas?

Travis

I had the same problem, but the following method solved it. Go to an arts and crafts store and buy two inexpensive items:

#1: A set of split rings, like the type used on a keychain. The smaller the better - the ones I use are about 1/2 inch across.

#2: Some small metal spring snaps; the type with the little metal bridge you can push in and out. Thread your strap properly, attach it to the snap, and attach the split rings to your camera. Then hook and unhook the strap whenever needed. That way, attaching and removing the strap takes only seconds, and you don't have to unravel the strap each time. I house my Oly in a PT-018, which doesn't interfere with the rings being attached.

I've attached a picture of my camera setup. Hopefully it will help show what I'm talking about.

Reeveseye,
What a great idea! And the keychain things aren't too big to get in the way of the housing? I was wondering about that myself - I use that neck strap all the time when using my camera on land, and it was looking like it was going to be a big pain to have to undo them every time I wanted to put it in the housing. Thanks for the advice - why can't I think of things like that myself? Oh well, I guess that's what SCUBABOARD is for!

I purchased a small padded case for the camera. It had a detachable strap, that works well with the small side rings already on the camera, and is easy to snap off when it is time to take it underwater. More of a hassle, I think, is threading and unthreading the lens cover to the camera. And then trying to remember where I put it, LOL! I am going to lose that thing someday :biggrin: !!

cheers,

That's a great idea John. I wonder if the rings will interfere with the 5050 in the PT-015, though... It's always a pain in the you know what to have to remove that strap each time.

saffire...if you use the cut-off koozie like Ted described, you'll never miss that lens cap! No mopre worrying about taking it of before you turn the camera on, either!

Dee:
saffire...if you use the cut-off koozie like Ted described, you'll never miss that lens cap! No mopre worrying about taking it of before you turn the camera on, either!

You know, I already got one of those rubber ones that slips over the housing lens part... I was thinking about the small plastic one that fits into the lens of the camera directly. Do they make "koozie's" in a small enough diameter to fit on the camera itself?? Or am I missing something here???

Oops....you're right! I was picturing the housing and talking about the camera. Man, getting old is getting embarrasing!

After misplacing mine for a couple of weeks (I eventually came across it), I bought a generic one at a camera store for about $5. I don't know the mm size, I just took my camera and started trying them on.

Dee:
Oops....you're right! I was picturing the housing and talking about the camera. Man, getting old is getting embarrasing!

Hey, don't worry about it, I am right there with ya, Dee!

After misplacing mine for a couple of weeks (I eventually came across it), I bought a generic one at a camera store for about $5. I don't know the mm size, I just took my camera and started trying them on.

Well, it's good to know that I can find a replacement when I need one... because I am sure to lose that thing sooner or later :rolleyes:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom