Neck seal tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePartner1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I tried on a new dry suit today and it fits like a champ except, of course, for the neck seal (gakkk!). The manufactuer (OSS) and lds advise not to cut the latex but to stretch it. It was not even close to the right size, despite the measurements.

I have it over an 2 qt vinegar bottle--somewhat narrower than my neck (17.5 in) so I don't over stretch it. Questions:
(i) will this work, (ii) will it work in time for some quarry dives tomorrow, (iii) will it work in time for some dives off the Cal. coast next Saturday.

Happy trails! New toys are so much fun.

"Not to cut it" :confused:

In my limited dry suit experience, I thought trimming the neck seal was expected by all manufacturers to acheive a comfortable fit.

If its your first time to trim a seal, it can be a bit scary (don't want to take away *too* much. That's why I got the assistance of the LDS owner where I purchased my drysuit. Later I trimmed off one more ring and now it fits just right!

Interesting that OSS would suggest stretching in their instructions.

You can try to stretch your neck seal over a tank (AL80 not rought galvanized steel) but it really won't help that much... if the latex we that stretchable without rebound then the seals won't last but a few dives.

The seals have ridge rings on the inside. These are cutting guides. Same with wrist seals. I cut off one ring at a time and try before cutting more... except for the first cut... I already know I need to whack off 2~3 to get started.

You need to talk to OSS and your LDS again and ask them if the are accepting liability for any injuries you sustain from too tight a neck seal.

Good advice, all, and I'm scratching my head too.

OSS's paltry instructions suggest stretching and soaking in "liquid silicon"? I suspect I'll be cutting. I won't dive with a carotid-sinus
tight seal and will bring in a wetsuit if all else fails.

A bit irritating for a 'custom' fit.

Stretching is for neoprene seals. Neoprene seals can be stretched over a tank or bottle to obtain the right size and fit. However stretch neoprene too far ( make the neck hole too big) and your in need of a new seal.
Latex on the other hand has great memory. If you stretch latex over something and then relieve the tension, the latex seal will go back to it’s original size. Therefor you must trim a latex seal to acquire the proper fit. This is why they come so small in the first place. ………..Arduous

... had a new neck seal put on my Andy's trilam and I had to trim 3 rings off to get close... I may whack of another today.

You need to have the neck seal trimmed to fit your neck perfectly. This is the normal procedure, in my experience. It is propably better to be two people when you trim it. One is holding the seal properly, and the other is cutting with a sharp sizzor. Even better, have it trimmed by someone experienced, who have done this numerous times. Then it is a really simple and quick procedure.

Each latex seal manufacturer makes their seals in standard measurements. Despite this they can differ slightly in size. They often make them with measurement rings so you easier can cut straight and trim it gradually.

Be sure to have the latex neck seal trimmed gradually, since you can not get back what is removed...

Sincerely

Anders :)

I've only heard of stretching neoprene seals. Latex, really for all practical purposes, has no memory. My drysuit manufacturer says not to use any type of silicone on the latex seals...

Uncle Pug confirmed my sense that "this can't be right." I know the conventional wisdom is to stretch neoprene and cut latex, so the OSS guidance seemed wacky. It also didn't work.

I chopped off three rings, it fit like a champ and I had three glorious dives.

Rodale's mentioned the shoddy information OSS provides as a major shortcoming, and I agree. If they can produce glitzy sales brochures, there is no excuse to provide no more than a single sheet of mimeograph type paper--large print-- and a tiny warranty card that offer inconsistent advice. The 'instructions' urge stetching rather than cutting; but buried on the warranty card it says cut but only if you have to--no mention of the stretching theory pushed by the other instruction sheet.

A this price, the inadequate documentation is disgraceful. Given the safety issue, it's also potentially dangerous.

Back
Top Bottom