Neck seal rolls up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldflounder

Contributor
Reaction score
New Hampshire/Maine seacoast or Lake Winnie
# of dives
200 - 499
I received the neck seal yesterday but have not tried it in the ocean yet. I did try it at home though. I wet the seal and put it on before I don my top. [I am using a Viking Extreme with latex neck seal and latex hood and the neck seems to leak if I twist my head around underwater when I try to keep track of my buddy.] At home the bio seal is flat against my neck until I pull the neck seal over it. Then it acquires a life of it's own and rolls over onto itself several times. It is almost impossible to unroll it inside the Viking seal and tight hood as it's dry by now and sticky and I have no room to maneuver my fingers. Can I leave it rolled up under the latex seal as best I can and still get a good seal? Or can I leave it rolled up over the latex neck seal and still get a seal? What if I cut it in half lengthwise? Will it have better support on my neck and not tend to roll as easily?
I know I will find out these answers on my own this coming weekend by trial and error when I take it diving but I am looking for some hints, tricks of the trade or experience with these questions. Thank you.

Oldflounder: You do not need to wet the Bio-Seal before putting it on. Use both hands, spread the seal wide before putting it over your head. Move the Bio-Seal down to your collar bone. Smooth the seal so it does not fold. We know that the unique material does, sometimes, seem to have, as you put it: "...a life of it's own". Just take your time, get the seal as low as it will go on your neck. The seal should be flat underneath your Viking neck seal.

Thank you, mdb, for your quick reply. I'll be trying this out this coming weekend and will post a dive report on the seals. I am looking forward to purchasing the tank lock next.

I'm just posting a follow-up. I did get the tank lock and I love it, except that it is already showing signs of salt-water corrosion. I guess it needs to be oiled after dives.

As far the the neck bio-seal issue ---- I never could seem to get a good seal so I ended up doing two things at the same time and I am not sure which one solved the porblem but I seem to have fixed it so that it doesn't leak now.

For one thing I got a good haircut and shaved all the hair off the back of my neck and I now keep it shaved daily. That might have done the trick.

The second thing I did was to cut the seal in half lengthwise to make 2 pieces. [I have a lot of loose skin on my neck and I think that caused the seal to keep rolling up on itself as soon as I moved my neck.] Now I put one piece flat on my neck and I roll up the second piece into a tube and place over it to keep the flat one in place. It is a little tighter on the neck but not really uncomfortable or noticeable after a few seconds. It seems to make a better seal for my drysuit's seal and I now notice a collection of water around my neck when I remove it after the dive.

Maybe this posting will help others. Thank you.

Oldflounder:

Glad to see you are finding some solutions.

With the bio-tank lock just throughly rinse with fresh water and make sure to leave some space- about 1/2 inch- on each side of the lock, so that the lock is not completely closed.
You can download the manuals @ Apollo Sports: Dive Gear

Like this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom