Neck Seal Leak vertical looking down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One more question - where I could get an unlined neoprene from? I looke up at inetrnet and could not find anything suitable. May I just cut a hood? Thank you very much.

Thanks a lot, Dave,
I will look up the Internet what Melco tape means ( yes, I am THAT blonde) and get to work - this new seal will be a Godsend (Davesend).
Lots and lots of thanks.

One more question - where I could get an unlined neoprene from? I looke up at inetrnet and could not find anything suitable. May I just cut a hood? Thank you very much.

On this DIY fix, you might keep the costs down by purchasing the small amounts of materials from someone who does wetsuit repair. Some dive shops might be able to order the materials for you or even have them on hand.

I purchased my materials from a drysuit/wetsuit repair facility. I had purchased other items from them, making it worth their while, though.

Otherwise, as you suggested, cannibalizing an old hood would certainly provide good material, if it's not real thick. I think thick neoprene might not have enough elasticity to both be able to pull over the head and then fit snugly on the neck.

Instead of ruining a hood, you might simplify this project by taking a look at fabric suppliers who carry various kinds and sizes of elastic waist bands. I would look for waist bands that have enough width and thickness to spread the pressure more evenly and therefore not tend to roll off or, worse, create a tourniquet effect. If you have a sewing machine capable of doing stretch stitches, you could stitch together a double thickness of two elastic waistbands to get the desired lateral firmness.

Other solutions might be to use neoprene, even thick neoprene, but stitch some hook and loop (Velcro) tape to the ends to allow easier donning and adjustment.

Keep in mind it won't take much pressure to hold down the loose neck seal and you definitely don't want the neck band to be too tight.... :shocked2:

Dave C

Last edited:
Last night I Aquasealed tow collars and in 3 hours I will be UW testing them on a dive that I much anticipate - we are visiting an angler-fish that has yet to be described, this is a new genus and this leaking seals was a major frustration. I tried these collars on and they fit snugly and I hope that they will perform UW on my scrawny chicken neck. I also thought about velcro but I am diving in Fusion so I do not want it to snag my lycra skin because in spite of all my muck diving and bum-on-barnacles entries and exits (these mostly with landing on urchins) my lycra looks totally new. Thanks a lot for your help, Dave. Will report tonight.

Hey tomdell,
Can you give us an update when you finish your dive? I am very interested in seeing if this neck band thing works for you.

Thanks

Hey Everyone,
I completed the pool session for my DS class using a DUI CF200 with latex neck seals. I noticed that when I was vertical, air would blow out my neck. Could not quite pin the problem down until this morning.

First, upon the advice of my LDC's scuba guru I folded the neck seal in on itself, much like a neoprene seal. I also wore my non drysuit type hood with a bib collar tucked into the warm neck collar of the DS.

I found today that the problem is isolated when I am in a vertical, head up position and my head looks down.

I have a pretty thin neck so I wonder if this could be the issue. Of course there is the possibility of having to loose of a neck seal as well.

Of course the easy solution would be just to not look down while in a vertical head up position right?

I am just looking for others advice before I replace the seal. Maybe this is just a normal thing which replacing the seal would not help....or maybe I am in denial..lol.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a bunch

I had this same problem. I didn't think of it as a big deal since water wasn't getting in. Instead, I came to think that maybe my suit wasn't designed to have that much air in it. I made me realize that I may have been over-weighted. I ended up dropped 8lbs of lead and the problem was significantly reduced.

Hey tomdell,
Can you give us an update when you finish your dive? I am very interested in seeing if this neck band thing works for you.

Thanks

Hi Dave and Traumadiver,
This is my report: I am totally, completely HAPPY:D
I Aquasealed two collars as dave recommended - 2' high and they did not let any water in. And I was much warmer! Dave - thanks a lot, I am so happy. I did cannibalize :wink: my hood and i do not regret it - my comfort and ability to do yesterday's dive were more important. I am trying to attach a photo of that new anglerfish - this one has such prominent nose that it reminds me of a Chinese dragon, this fish is still undescribed (being cuirrently researched and described by Dr. Theodore Pietsch and Rachel Arnold in USA). This fish has been only found in Sydney and I cannot wait for its taxonomic allocation. So , Dave, if I manage to attach it (blinde in a collar:))- this photo is dedicated to you. Photo is taken by Tomas Mitchell.
My neck circumference is tiny and Fusion came with pre-cut neck seal, so after three months of non-stop diving it stretched and on Sunday my suit was flooded. before, when I was just wet it was not a big problem because I wear Whites MK2 and polypropilene top so I was warm in spite of being wet but flooding is a different matter. I always wear bio-seals, which I swear by, but mine are on their third winter and got thin and dried-up so I ordered new ones. But I will still be using Dave's collars for bettr seal and warmth.
I also move my head a lot, I do all kind of somersaults UW trying to get a better look under the rocks and this style does not sit well with drysut seals. This is a Whites Fusion fault - after vmy DUI CLX 450 I dive in Fusion and feel like in a wetsuit, so I got totally careless and dive in a drysuit as I would dive in a 3 ml wetsuit.
Dave, thanks a lot - such a simple way to get warmer and drier. I also got knee pads for my Fusion because I tend to land on nasty seaurchins, so this is sorted out as well. Now I have to figure out how to get some pocket space on my outer lycra skin, probably x-shorts as TSand M suggested.
Have great diving,
Della:D

Attachments

• 02-07-2009 Leap Dragon.jpg
    02-07-2009 Leap Dragon.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 60
Hi Dave and Traumadiver,
This is my report: I am totally, completely HAPPY:D
I Aquasealed two collars as dave recommended - 2' high and they did not let any water in. And I was much warmer! Dave - thanks a lot, I am so happy. I did cannibalize :wink: my hood and i do not regret it - my comfort and ability to do yesterday's dive were more important. I am trying to attach a photo of that new anglerfish - this one has such prominent nose that it reminds me of a Chinese dragon, this fish is still undescribed (being cuirrently researched and described by Dr. Theodore Pietsch and Rachel Arnold in USA). This fish has been only found in Sydney and I cannot wait for its taxonomic allocation. So , Dave, if I manage to attach it (blinde in a collar:))- this photo is dedicated to you. Photo is taken by Tomas Mitchell.
My neck circumference is tiny and Fusion came with pre-cut neck seal, so after three months of non-stop diving it stretched and on Sunday my suit was flooded. before, when I was just wet it was not a big problem because I wear Whites MK2 and polypropilene top so I was warm in spite of being wet but flooding is a different matter. I always wear bio-seals, which I swear by, but mine are on their third winter and got thin and dried-up so I ordered new ones. But I will still be using Dave's collars for bettr seal and warmth.
I also move my head a lot, I do all kind of somersaults UW trying to get a better look under the rocks and this style does not sit well with drysut seals. This is a Whites Fusion fault - after vmy DUI CLX 450 I dive in Fusion and feel like in a wetsuit, so I got totally careless and dive in a drysuit as I would dive in a 3 ml wetsuit.
Dave, thanks a lot - such a simple way to get warmer and drier. I also got knee pads for my Fusion because I tend to land on nasty seaurchins, so this is sorted out as well. Now I have to figure out how to get some pocket space on my outer lycra skin, probably x-shorts as TSand M suggested.
Have great diving,
Della:D

Della, so nice of you to report back on your success! Loved seeing the image of the new fish! Thanks! That's exciting!

Like you, I double up my neck bands and really love the extra warmth! I don't need them to hold down a loose neck seal anymore, but still wear them for water temps below 10C. Being two thin layers, they don't seem to impede neck movement at all, so I'm real happy with them.

Glad they worked out for you too! Enjoy! :)

Dave C

Well I went for my first drysuit dive on the 4h of July. I had found a wetsuit over at the local mil surplus store for dirt cheap. I cannabalized it to make my neck band. When I dove with it, it did not work for me. It did keep my neck nice and warm though.
I am just going to have to replace my neck seal. Oh well, no worries there. The fun is not only in the diving, it is in the cleaning, servicing, maintaining and ultimatley buying new toys right? That is why they call it a HOBBY!

Have fun everyone, safe diving!

Another chicken neck guy here with leaky neck seal issues, so I was VERY interested to read this thread.

Question for tomdell: You said you aquasealed 2 collars, what are these "collars" made of? Neoprene? How thick? How did you fasten the ends together to make the loop?

Any advice and/or pics will be greatly appreciated, I'm tired of being wet....thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom