Near miss on the boat next to ours...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knavey

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We had tied up to the Eagle wreck buoy down in the Keys. Another boat had pulled up and we allowed them to tie off to the stern of our boat. They only planned on making 1 dive, and our boat was diving 2 groups of 3 so we knew we would be there long after they were gone.

Our first 3 went into the water, and I watched as the guys on the boat behind us geared up. We had deployed a tag line because of a brisk current and we told them they could use it to pull themselves down to the buoy. I didn't think much of it until I saw 2 of them enter the water on the opposite side of the boat from the line. They were using scooters and since I had never really seen one of these, I watched as they scooted over to the buoy and disappeared.

Thought it was sort of strange when the third guy on their boat jumped in and started towards us. NO ONE was left on their boat! The next thing you know, he has tangled his scooter in the tag line. He gets to the bow of their boat, and is holding onto the winch bracket trying to untangle the scooter. First thing he does is spit his reg out, and over the next minute or so, he first untangles, retangles, untangles again that scooter. He is swallowing water because he spit out the reg, and finally he decides to put it back in his mouth except now he is having a hard time holding onto the boat, hold onto his scooter, sweep for his lost reg, breath air and not water. You get the picture? All this time the boat is pitching up and down, and he is getting beat up the whole time.

My friend on our boat comments that his gear looks a little funny, and thats when I notice that his tank is completely out of its strap. No wonder he is having a hard time finding his reg. You know how frustrating it is when you can see someone trying to do a task, and they just cant manage it? Splash, in I went. Swam over to the guy, and now I realize that he is definitely in trouble.

I can see he is tired, coughing from all the inhaled water, no control over his gear. I grabbed his tank and told him to just drift back to the back of the boat, and I would help him get back in. Of course, we get to the back of the boat, and the boat has no really easy access for divers and no line deployed to grab onto in the current. I scrambled in though, and got him to hand me the stuff up. When he finally got onboard, we looked over his gear and the tank strap was setup incorrectly. The tank never really was secure in it, and thank goodness he just decided to abort the dive (although it took a minute of convincing him that staying on the surface was better than going under to look for his buddies).

I guess MY lessons learned (and hopefully his):

NEVER EVER leave the boat unattended. Hey, we could have been pirates! Wouldn't that have been a sea story if they made it home.

So much for his buddy team, they hit that buoy and straight to the bottom. Never even came back wondering why he hadn't joined them. Everyone should go down at the same time!

I had never even considered that the tag line would have been an issue for those guys...and obviously neither had he. Scooters and entanglement hazards should not be in the same area.

Under the bow of a pitching boat, and in a current is probably not the best place to rest and try to recover your wits.

Keep the reg in your mouth. Its "guaranteed" air. I couldn't believe he spit it out after he got it back in his mouth.

Ask for help if you need it. I actually think I waited TOO long to help out. All it would have taken was one breathe of water at the wrong time, and we would have had MAJOR problems.

Know your gear. He talked like he was not too familiar with the equipment he was using although it all looked k3wl. Nitrox, scooters...

Abort the dive when you are losing control. That guy was out of control about 15 seconds after he parked under the bow. Two hands, 4 tasks (hold onto the boat, the scooter, untangle, and find your regulator) means you have lost control. STAR is good, but do it in a safer place than under the boats bow waiting to get smacked on the head

Hopefully he learned something, I know I did.

Very interesting story. The guy was lucky you decided to help. If you had waited much longer he may have been a real rescue and that is dangerous for both parties. Once someone panics, they get really scary. Sounds like he was almost there.

Good job knavey.

He may not realize it, but you probably avoided a disaster.

Brian Gilpin:
What did the diver have to say about the experience? Did he learn the same lessons? Was he upset with buddies?

Actually, he didn't seem all that upset with them. More concerned about getting new gear that worked. Hmmm.

Oh well, it was interesting. Sort of wrote it up to summarize what I had learned. Every time is a learning experience for me, and sometimes it helps to review and hopefully someone who reads this will think to check that tank strap before entry.

Hmmm. A couple of things:

1) You did good! Nice work!

2) Buddies did bad! Maybe they weren't really buddies? Maybe all three were diving solo? If that is the case, fine. But if they were buddies? Terrible!

Thanks for the story!!!!!!! Congrats and job well done, I think you saved his life because had you not been there who would have helped ???? Good reading,thanks again.

He was lucky you were there to help! Good job for you...bad job for his "buddies." And what ever happened to the buddy check before entering the water...all you PADI people remember the BWRAF check right? I believe giving the ol' buddy bump on the tank strap is part of that.

Anyway, karma is smiling on you today...good job, Knavey.

Great work!!
-Grier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom