NDR - Vancouver Lodging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My spouse wants to attend the 2010 olympics in your city.

My question is - in looking for lodging, which area of the city would be best for me to search in.

We will be coming to visit - she does not complain about dive trips - I won't complain about this.

Thanks

Bring a drysuit (if you can find one down there) and make it a diving trip, too.

I guess it depends on what you are attending for events. Some are in the local Vancouver area or up @ Whistler (about 1 1/2- 2 hours drive away). Probably alot cheaper in local Vancouver for accomodation.
The diving is in the local Van. area or take a 1 1/2 hour ferry trip over to Vancouver Island.

Need a little more info about what you are looking for. B&B, hotel, what kind of amenities. The range is pretty significant. Whistler where most of the skiing events will be held is nothing but acommodation. Ranges from dorms to suites. But is expensive, and will be very expensive come 2010. Think an expensive Vale. Vancouver is a big city. The range is from sleazy to 5 stars. Downtown to suburban.

Bring your drysuit and plan a few days either side to get to Vancouver Island for some diving. Winter can be the best time to dive here.

She would want to attend the figure skating events of course.

We both enjoy hockey and

I actually like the snowboarding.

I realize that we have to choose Whistler ot Vancouver.

I think that Vancouver would best fit our needs.

We would be fine with something like Hampton Inn or Fairfield Inn or one of the residence suite hotels.

She does not care for the B&B option. Not so great an experience when I convinced her to try once before.

Thanks.

Most the of Olympic arena events will be taking place in Vancouver. If you're planning on attending some alpine events in Whistler and diving on the coast in the same trip, staying in Vancouver would be easiest. There are numerous dive sites in Vancouver but if you want to see the most BC has to offer you should make the trip over to Vancouver Island. You can easily take a ferry from Vancouver to Naniamo or Victoria. I've heard that some charter companies will even pick you up from the terminal if you choose to walk on the ferry. I'm not sure how the ferry schedule will be like in 2010 but you may be able to make it a day trip if you're short on time.

You probably want to stay downtown then. If you look on a map of Vancouver find Robson street and that is the "shopping" district. Vancouver's version of Rodeo Drive Any hotel within about four blocks of that street is likely to be reasonably high end and have all the amenities you want. Not yet sure where all the venues will be but from there you can get anywhere. Hockey will be in GM Place which is fairly close by a ten minute walk from our condo, figure skating will be at the Coliseum which is further away, 15 - 20 minute drive depending on traffic, but not in the best part of town, would not suggest staying out that way. PM me if you have a specific hotel you want comments on. (I live one block off Robson right downtown.)

Thanks.

I will follow up later in the year. I plan to start looking seriously this summer.

My purpose here was to obtain assistance in a starting place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom