NDR: Need photo opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

midwestdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Currently in Cali and waiting for my reg so that I can go diving in cold water (brrrrrr..) so the cam set-up has been dry. So decided to do tourist stuff and take topside pics. When showing the pics to friends, they prefer the BW photos over colors which I don't know why. They're basically the same pics, just diff color. I'd thought they'd like the color stuff better. Here are some of the pics. Which do you think is better? Color or black/white? Thanks for the input.

I prefer the color in the first one, B&W in the second.
In the first one, the story is in the lanterns, in the second one it's in the sky :)
Rick

Black and white tends to be more dramatic and I think evokes a more sentimental/nostalgic feeling for most people when viewing pics.
Especially since the pics are of cityscapes/urban areas, I think B&W captures the whole moment frozen in time thing.
I really like the first one, maybe if you were a little higher or the angle was changed a little it would be even better.
But that's just my opinion anyway.

E.g.
IMG_0377.jpg

If you did a city shot at night, like at a waterfront with a slow shutter speed that would look great in color.
Midwest, i'm diving tomorrow and where have you been?
Been taking tons of photos with my cam topside.

Rick Murchison:
I prefer the color in the first one, B&W in the second.
In the first one, the story is in the lanterns, in the second one it's in the sky :)
Rick

We are at odds on this one :D first one black and white, looks like it was taken 50 years ago. Second one color it could not pass as an old photo with that modern looking building in the center.

Color V B&W I think depends on the subject.

Thanks for the inputs. The first black/white photo does make it look old (if you don't look at the newish model cars). But I also like the color version because of the lanterns (need to get closer shots of them)

Jamdiver, been working so that I can pay off my new toy. Post some dive pics when you get em.

midwestdvr

jam diver put it pretty well and i agree with him. It seems like B&W images are starting to make a come back in popularity.

For me color has a very useful place when capturing a image, but there is just something about black and white that just grips me as well as others. for example some of my best color images from a movie im the photographer for that one day i was messing with a image and decided to quad tone it (black, and 3 shades of gray) and took it to one of the actors in the movie (also the same person who is incharge of the project to) and showed him the color one and he was shocked as he liked it then i showed him the quad tone and he was just speachless (we where talking and he was looking at some other pictures from a recent shoot). Well when it was done he bought a copy of the quad tone and has bought a couple of other copies that have been auctioned off for charity.

to each is there own

Tooth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom