NC Wrecks where to start

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jrock1062

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can anyone tell me what how long it would take to drive from Nags Head to Morehead City, I would be driving from New York and coming down I-95 and I was wondering is it worth driving all the way to Morehead or should I stop stop at Nags Head and dive there and what are the differences in dive sites and conditions. Thanks all for your help and insight

If purpose of your trip is to dive, I would go on down to MHC. The diving in Nags Head is limited as opposed to several large and small operators in the Morehead City/ Beaufort area. A quick check of distances on Steets and Trips indicates the distance is around 25-30 miles farther to MHC, pretty much a wash considering the road conditions between the 2 places.

Went out with the guys from Discovery Dive Center in Beaufort. Great crew.

Discovery Diving Co., Inc. - North Carolina Wreck Diving in the Graveyard of the Atlantic

They have a couple bunk houses cheap. Some good places to eat nearby too.

It takes just about 4 hours to drive from Nags Head, NC to Beaufort. If you're coming all the way down from New York, I'd bypass Nags Head and just head to Beaufort. It's about an hour longer drive I figure but well worth it.

Yep - If the purpose of the trip is to dive, drive to Morehead City. The diving is different (warmer, clearer, gulf stream water instead of labrador current water).

If you're going to be in Nags Head anyway, you can dive there or drive down to Hatteras (also gulf stream water).

Back
Top Bottom