NC/SC Hull Cleaning Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fstbttms

Contributor
Reaction score
A few years ago, in a thread here about hull cleaning, I chided some South Carolina hull cleaners about their cleaning techniques. Primarily about their exclusive use of scrapers to clean boat bottoms (when the rest of the civilized world uses pads or brushes. :D) A few of these guys got a little upset with me. When I pressed them for details, they simply refused to answer.

Well, a month or so ago, one of my divers moved to North Carolina to check out a dive service (which shall remain unnamed) that was offered to him for sale. He recently shot some video depicting the conditions he's diving in and the procedures the business owner insists he use. Quite honestly, I'm appalled at what he describes as standard business practices out there, i.e: scrapers only, black water, wearing tanks, swimming boat-to-boat (dragging every anode and tool he might need with him), not unplugging boats (even in freshwater, and he's already been shocked) and only spending a few minutes "cleaning" each boat. I'm hoping one of you local hull cleaners from that area will tell me this outfit is an aberration, although I suspect it's not:

Last edited:
That generally makes me feel sick...why exactly does he 'have' to swim between boats? All I could think of is him 'cleaning' a prop when someone starts her in gear....as for scrapers only, well, if I was on my boat and heard someone 'damaging' my boat like that, I'd be tempted to start her in gear...
Mind you, it's not black water if you can see....

I think this sums up the whole diving industry. To be safe(er) this should have more people, better kit, longer time taken over it blah blah....unfortunately that costs more, and there is always someone willing to undercut you...if your client doesn't care about your safety, he won't pay for it.

...if your client doesn't care about your safety, he won't pay for it.

In this case, it's the diver's employer/business seller who doesn't care about safety. My guy was trained better than that (we don't operate like that here in California) and will implement some changes to procedure once he actually takes over the reins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom