Navy diver in critical condition - shark attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
Navy diver in critical condition - shark attack
navy-degelder.jpg

An elite Navy diver is still in a critical condition in hospital after he was attacked by a shark in inner Sydney waters at dawn yesterday.
In the first shark attack in Sydney Harbour for 12 years, 31-year-old Paul Degelder was badly mauled by what is thought to have been a bull shark in waters off the naval base at Woolloomooloo.
The Able Seaman suffered severe injuries to his right hand and thigh when he was attacked during a counter-terrorism exercise just before 7:00am (AEDT).
The Commander of the Australian Fleet yesterday said the clearance diver was on the surface of the water with a police diver when he was bitten.
Rear Admiral Nigel Coates said Able Seaman Degelder fought off the shark, punching it a number of times, and the attack was over within seconds.
The elite diver was treated on a nearby naval boat and then whisked to shore, before being rushed to nearby St Vincent's Hospital.
A spokeswoman for the hospital says Able Seaman Degelder is still in the Intensive Care Unit in a critical but stable condition.
He had been participating in the last day of an international trial of new technology to protect ports from terrorist attacks when he became the first Australian Navy diver to be attacked by a shark.
The most recent reported brush with a shark in the harbour was on Parramatta River 12 years ago but the last fatal attack was in 1963.
Next month's Sydney Harbour Swim Classic event will go ahead despite the attack.
Organisers have reassured competitors there will be plenty of divers to look out for sharks.

I hope this poor guy is OK, but the last line of this post made me laugh:

"Organisers have reassured competitors there will be plenty of divers to look out for sharks."

They must be inundated with volunteers for that task...

Trish

I hate bull sharks.

...the clearance diver was on the surface of the water with a police diver when he was bitten.
Yeah, on the surface is usually where people get bit. Diving underwater is almost always safe from shark attack. BTW, notice the rebreather the guy has on in the pic?

There are more things on land to be worried about than sharks. Sharks get a bad name because maybe a handfull of people get bit each year, & this causes a panic.were not on there food chain, if we were then it would be more than just 1 bite.

Update on his condition from yesterday:

''I will today have my right leg amputated,'' Able Seaman de Gelder stated yesterday in a statement issued through the Defence Department. ''I'm looking forward to rebuilding my life and taking on the new challenges I have to face. Ultimately I would like to return to what I love, navy diving,'' he said. A spokesman for St Vincent's Hospital said Able Seaman de Gelder remained in a stable condition in the hospital's naval ward.

dam shame about this and best of luck to him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom