Naval Manuals & Non magnetics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

INFIDELxx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Can anyone tell me What Naval manuals have information on NonMagnetic Tanks and Regulators?
I Think these pictures came out of one but I cant remember where I got them.

aqhosemp-1.jpg

aqbalance.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
I have a 1958 and a 1970 edition of the Navy manual.
The 1958 manual has very little about regulators or tanks other than what was in use. The 1970 manual has a bit more as it has the service instructions for the regulator and tank manifold and is basically a reprint of the U S Divers service manual.

There are brief discriptions and illustrations of the two non magnetic depth gauges, the MK1 mod 0 and the Mk2 mod 0 and the MK1 mod 0 non magnetic knife. It is a general manual on all types of diving both surface supplied and self contained and does not address specifics related to EOD use of non magnetic equipment.

The tank and regulator combination is referred to as the Aqua Lung. It states, "Low magnetic effects materials, meeting the requirements of military specifications MIL-M-19595 are used in the Aqua Lung.
The tanks are described as, "two high pressure preaged aluminum cylinders"

The pictures you posted are in the 1970 manual.
Open circuit scuba is a rather small part of the manual.

Last edited:
Tom,
I was wondering what manual the pic's came from. I am just trying to collect as much data and pictures as possible. I have been told the manuals will soon be up on my favorite site.

I'll contribute to the pictures. Here's a photo of a non-magnetic regulator in use at the U.S. Naval School for Underwater Swimmers in 1967. I took the photo, of my USAF pararescue class as we went through the school.
USSDiverswaiting.jpg

Awaiting our turn to dive.

USS.jpg

The cloth sack contains parts that we had to assemble underwater and return whole, without loosing any of the parts. I don't remember what we made, but I think we had ten minutes to do it.

UnderwaterSwimExit.jpg

Finishing an underwater compass swim

SeaRat

John,
Great photo's man. Thanks a lot. Did you ever use or witnessed anyone using a Al 90 tank? If not what single tanks did you use? What was the issued PJ dive gear?

Looks as all of the tanks in John's photos are AL 90's. I have never seen photos of them used as singles.

Tom,

You are right on about the 90's I meant "witnessed 90's used as singles?". I was hoping that they did at some point. I have One 90 Nonmag tank and a nonmag manifold. The second tank I had lined up fell through. So I am still in search for a 90al nonmag.
But in the mean time I want to use my Nonmag DA with a 60's-70's period correct tank setup. I picked a great UDT swimmers vest the other day. :D

Back
Top Bottom