Navajo Report 7/11/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WallDiver77

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Carl J and I dove Navajo last Wednesday.

While I can't say vis was "wonderful" or "great", I can say it was as expected for this time of year. Poor. Now poor for some folks means less than 25 feet and for others it means that they can't see their own hand in front of them. For me poor means around the 8 to less than the 10 foot mark. (My classification of "frickin' hopeless", means I wasn't able to see my own hand in front of me.)

We saw a nice 3lb + bass ... and lot's, of course, other smallies. I got to fooling around with some well armed crawfish and managed to catch one without losing any skin. A diver always has the undivided attention of several bass when holding onto a crawfish.

Made two dives: One on top of the island and the other up the Francis a ways. WE did creep over the east side of the island and hit the top of the wall at about 35 or so feet. I think that I reached my deepest depth here of about 47 feet. The vis here was the best of any area we experienced... probably reaching a whooping 15 feet. Lights would seem to be needed to head down the wall pass 50 feet.
The TC (thermocline) was very present at about 35 to 37 feet. Temperatures? How's 77f at the surface sound? Sounds pretty good to me too, but pass through the TC and hang on! I successfully stayed warm in a 5mm jumpsuit with a hood.

The site we dove up Francis Canyon had vis of no more than 8 feet. Here, Carl and I had difficulty staying together.

In my mind, it's still better than sitting home eating chips! It also beats driving 5 to 6 hours to dive Blue Hole....... and people there tend to freak-out when you stand ready at the launch platform with your spear gun.

Back
Top Bottom