Nautilus Lifeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMalby

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Thinking about purchasing a Nautilus Lifeline Radio that I saw advertised in Dive Training Mag. I have been doing some research and everything I read says this is a must have (esp drift dive). It seems a bit expensive but how do you put a price on your life! Does anyone own one of these and how do you like it? Or is there something better out there?

Thanks in advance for your replies...

Thinking about purchasing a Nautilus Lifeline Radio that I saw advertised in Dive Training Mag. I have been doing some research and everything I read says this is a must have (esp drift dive). It seems a bit expensive but how do you put a price on your life! Does anyone own one of these and how do you like it? Or is there something better out there?

Thanks in advance for your replies...
There are lots of threads on ScubaBoard about this. I suggest a little searching,

I just bought one, 'used' but never wet (never actually taken on a dive). If you want one, but the price seems high, juts wait and find a used one, I paid $85 shipped to my door if I remember correctly...

The original Lifeline was a two way radio that required a registration number to work. Boat operators didn't think it was a good idea to let dive folks chat on their channels, so the Lifeline folks had to create an emergency locator instead. Unregistered original units are tough to find, and the owners want more than the original price for them. I was lucky to buy mine before Nautilus was forced into the second gen model.

The original Lifeline was a two way radio that required a registration number to work. Boat operators didn't think it was a good idea to let dive folks chat on their channels, so the Lifeline folks had to create an emergency locator instead. Unregistered original units are tough to find, and the owners want more than the original price for them. I was lucky to buy mine before Nautilus was forced into the second gen model.
The new models come with DSC and from what I understand this allows you to operate in 2 way radio mode but on channel 70. Is this correct?

The new models come with DSC and from what I understand this allows you to operate in 2 way radio mode but on channel 70. Is this correct?

I'm not sure of that. My understanding is that the two way radio went away.

Unregistered original units are tough to find, and the owners want more than the original price for them.

It's easy to get your own registration number and use the Nautilus software (PC or Mac) to update to your own registration number.

When I was diving in Komodo, I took it on every dive and when it was finally needed, the radio chat function didn't work. I thought the battery discharge wasn't significant but it was, even when off. When the guide and I tried to radio, it would shut itself off.

There's a setting on the Lifeline that tells it to conserve battery for being a beacon below a certain battery threshold. Basically, once it got below 40% capacity, the chat feature became disabled.

If you do get one and want to count on the radio, as soon as you get on a boat, test the chat with the bridge. Make sure it works and they know you can chat with them should something go wrong. After that, make sure it's fully charged for the next day of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom