nautilus lifeline VHF, nautilus GPS, PLB, what to get

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littlegorgor

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to scuba diving and want to get one of the above. which would be the best choice ?

I think my dive shop still carries the old version of nautilus with VHF. Is it difficult to use? need registration? I'm from hong Kong, anything I need to consider ?

As for plb, what are the options? anyone of them comes with a dive canister?

simplest option seems like the new version of nautilus gps. is it a waste of money?

They are all good, but what you *need* depends on the kind of diving you'll be doing, and where.

Having a VHF radio as an option seems immensely useful IMHO. A lot of issues could be avoided with a simple call to your boat (assuming they are on the same channel and of course actually listening). Not sure why they discontinued that function.

VHF model rocks. It's super handy for those times when it's not an emergency but you wanna talk to the boat.

For what it's worth, there's plenty of handheld marine VHF radios out there without the Nautilus wallet raping. Just put it in a dive canister.

Personally, I carry a PLB. If I can't be found, boat sunk, Capt. had a heart attack, or whatever the case, I want the ability to call the cavalry.

Last edited:
hi everyone,
I'm a newbie to scuba diving and want to get one of the above. which would be the best choice ?

I think my dive shop still carries the old version of nautilus with VHF. Is it difficult to use? need registration? I'm from hong Kong, anything I need to consider ?

As for plb, what are the options? anyone of them comes with a dive canister?

simplest option seems like the new version of nautilus gps. is it a waste of money?

For local Search and Rescue (SAR) with Dive Operation Boats, a VHF Beacon or Voice Radio System with Automatic Identification System/Digital Selective Calling (AIS/DSC) that identifies clients in a lost diver contingency is a viable option. Several Liveaboards worldwide utilize this system (Nautilus Lifeline GPS) and provide them for their diving clients: see Undersea Hunter Cocos Island Costa Rica Dive Program - Safety

Additionally prepared divers who are diving in very remote locations in the world also have their own private PLB (Personal Locator Beacon, a direct distress signal that uniquely identifies you to a 24/7 monitored satellite system) as a last resort back-up in case the VHF Radio Beacons like the Nautilus dropout because of range limitations (Nautilus advertises 60km maximum, but realistically at best only 20km in high swell seas & rain conditions). As a Hong Kong Chinese National for example, your registered PLB is your worst case -last best chance of rescue in a lost at sea scenario. Even if there is no organized national SAR available in the remote location you're in, this is how it still can work with your local dive operation:

The PLB when activated alerts and uplinks to the COSPAS/SARSAT Satellite System --your designated emergency contingency contact should be provided by you smartly beforehand, with at least cellphone calling numbers & information on the dive operation or liveaboard that you're using, and emergency contact numbers for the Chinese Diplomatic Mission/Consulate/Embassy in the particular foreign country you're visiting if traveling internationally. In other words, the regional Rescue Coordination Center in the area and/or the Chinese Embassy in the country's capital city can still call your dive operation base station or resort, and relay vital GPS coordinates to your location as determined by the satellite system.

http://www.coms-auth.hk/filemanager/common/licensing/F321.pdf

You should purchase your PLB in the country of your nationality and ensure that it is programmed for your country:
Small and Light Personal Location Beacon (PLB) | FastFind 220

The Dive Canister container can be purchased anywhere:
McMurdo Dive Canister - Star Marine Depot

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom