NAUTILUS LIFELINE ON SALE! 25% off!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jenny Vannari

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Dear Divers!
I am happy to offer you the lifesaving device for a great price. With coupon code THANKYOU5 you receive an additional 5% discount. It is shipped from Canada. Please feel free to visit the Website and check out the Nautilus Lifeline Sale and much more!

Big ocean hugs!

Attachments

• nl-1008_1_1.jpg
    nl-1008_1_1.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 83
Just to be sure you all are clear on this device capability. It is a new generation of Nautilus without marine radio. It is now called Marine Rescue GPS (MRG) to differentiate it to the old generation Nautilus Lifeline (NL), which includes marine radio.

MRG is under device group called PAB (Personal AIS Beacon) using VHF radio frequency to send 1 Watt distress signal to other boat on the surface, not PLB (Personal Locator Beacon) which uses 5 Watt 406 MHz distress signal straight up to the Search & Rescue satellites.

NL sends only DSC (Digital Selective Calling) distress signal. MRG sends DSC and AIS (Automatic Identification System) distress signals. Both DSC & AIS are still VHF signals, so their ranges are limited to line of sight, about a mile or two. If you don't see a boat equipped with marine radio and/or AIS while floating on the surface, don't expect your distress signal to be received by anyone.

I do carry both MRG & PLB to make sure I cover all possible distress signals (surface & straight up to the sky).

NL sends only DSC (Digital Selective Calling) distress signal. MRG sends DSC and AIS (Automatic Identification System) distress signals. Both DSC & AIS are still VHF signals, so their ranges are limited to line of sight, about a mile or two. If you don't see a boat equipped with marine radio and/or AIS while floating on the surface, don't expect your distress signal to be received by anyone. (surface & straight up to the sky).

The product description quotes a range of up to 34 miles for AIS. Is that just a theoretical range that is not achievable as a diver holding the device at sea level?

The product description quotes a range of up to 34 miles for AIS. Is that just a theoretical range that is not achievable as a diver holding the device at sea level?

They are probably testing it with the Coast Guard station / command center tall antennae right on the coast. The boat wouldn't have such tall antennae. We are dealing with line of sight. Big waves, earth curvature would block the line of sight. Also, it's only emitting 1 watt power, signal strength would also affect reception.

Radio Information For Boaters
"Your VHF radio is intended mainly for short range communications, generally 5-10 miles, and at least 20 miles to a USCG station."

Here are the signaling devices that I carry in my BCD pockets, when I dive in the open ocean, like in Socorro, Galápagos, Cocos, Banda Sea, Maldives.

07620030-2000-4D58-8425-61C06A6B4262.jpeg

Also it’s important to tether all of the devices to BCD D-ring to prevent fumbling them and sinking them to the abyss.

FEDF64AC-5FD5-4E4D-9532-F90F10A43EAD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom