Nautilus Lifeline old generation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Denis Sab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi there,

I'm trying to buy a few Nautilus Lifelines - I'm in Mozambique, so it has to be online...

I only find the new generation, which only offers the distress button, but no VHF anymore.

Does anyone know where I can find some?

Cheers,
Denis

Thanks Bred,

Unfortunately, "Usually ships within 1 to 4 months."

I guess they are out of stock, and think they won't supply anymore...

I currently have and use the Nautilus Lifeline. When it is replaced, I am going with a GPS based Satellite PLB. If there is not a specific reason you are wanting the VHF two-way comms, the only replacement I know of that I will use is the ACR ResQLink. I liked the Nautilus with the two-way VHF because I felt I could get 'instant gratification' if I had an issue. Since they changed to the 'push button' only signal, I do not feel that the VHF is worth it, as you appear to feel also. Because of that, I would want a GPS based Satellite PLB. At least then I will be comfortable that my signal will be received. The one downside is that there are not any deep water resistant PLBs on the market. I was talking with ACR about that yesterday even. The only option I know is to purchase a waterproof housing. The total kit here would be around $350. I really was disappointed that Nautilus stopped making the two-way VHF. I do not have either of the products listed below.... yet.

ACR ARTEXResQLink Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) | ACR ARTEX

Diver Locator Satellite PLB Canister from HDVSEATEK.

Denis-
You might want to contact Amazon support, or contact Nautilus directly. One of Amazon's dirty little secrets is that sometimes, they have no idea of what is going on, and those shipping times posted robotically can be way off base.

Packrat-
If you check the SARSAT system or ask the personnel (USCG here in the US) you may be surprised about the PLB's and EPIRB's. Sometimes the system can take multiple satellite passes and 2-3 hours before a dispatch is made, as they first try to verify the emergency by using your contact phones and wait for position confirmation from multiple satellites. Then there's a question of whether there are SAR assets available. On contrast, VHF can reach any vessel you might see, including your own dive boat which has simply forgotten you and headed home. (Yes, that happens here too often.) Or, a different dive boat coming out to the same area.

The original Lifeline is a bit clunky and the watertight seal doesn't really impress me, but then again, it has to perform better than the plastic whistles.

Thanks buds,
Unfortunately there is NO rescue operation here... I can only count with my boat and the few others having VHF. Satellites are not an option :(
The original lifeline really sucks. Never had problem with the seal (except when it goes out from its groove, there is no way to put it back), never ever got a leak. But the microphone just doesn't work after it got wet (which happens quickly when you use it). And the worst is that the battery is behaving erratically on some units, fully charged and wouldn't switch on (about 50% of them, I know, i bought quite a few).
BUT they are still the BEST way to find your divers when they drift. Please NAUTILUS, make them again...
I'm trying to contact them directly and will let you know...

... If you check the SARSAT system or ask the personnel (USCG here in the US) you may be surprised about the PLB's and EPIRB's. Sometimes the system can take multiple satellite passes and 2-3 hours before a dispatch is made, as they first try to verify the emergency by using your contact phones and wait for position confirmation from multiple satellites. Then there's a question of whether there are SAR assets available. On contrast, VHF can reach any vessel you might see, including your own dive boat which has simply forgotten you and headed home. (Yes, that happens here too often.) Or, a different dive boat coming out to the same area...

I have done enough offshore fishing to understand that a significant number of boats do not monitor their radio. The low power of the Nautilus plus being on the surface of the water makes the range terribly short. I did not mind these limitations when the NL had two-way comms as I could know someone was reached. I also could call boats for assistance when an emergency was not applicable.

Now with the push button design, I do not know if anyone has received my signal. If I am going to transmit in the blind, I feel that the Satellite based emergency locators have a FAR greater chance of being received and acted on. I live around Cape Canaveral (NASA etc) so I am very familiar with satellite operations and limitations BTW. If I am out of the country, many if not most boats do not even have a radio so the satellite may be my only real option anyway. The push button also limits the usefulness to only emergencies rather then open communications.

Sorry, as soon as Nautilus Lifeline went to this design, they were removed from my list. So when my current one breaks, I will be going to a Satellite based one, unless someone else fills the gap!

packrat-
I haven't tested my Nautilus radio, but assume the range on the water is what any VHF radio would be in the same position, i.e. line of sight. And that's not much, even with a 6 watt handheld radio, six feet above sea level (i.e. held in the cockpit) your limit is quickly going to be less than six miles, stopped by the horizon, unless you're working an elevated antenna.
For a lower power radio, even one watt, given the lack of background noise and interference at sea, you should be able to get similar range. More of a limit on the physics of the situation, than on the equipment. I think it is more intended to be used as "Hey, genius, we're five hundred yards aft of you, look this way!" than for longer range, really.

denis-
There is an alternative kludge which is not totally inelegant. You can buy a under-sink water filter housing, $10-15 online and twice that price in hardware stores in the US. This is a canister about a foot long and 3" wide made of plastic (search again for clear) with a screw-in top. Usually, they have two threaded openings in the top, for water lines in and out, and most important, a pressure relief button. But if you look around (Amazon again) you can get them with NO pressure relief button and just the two threaded holes, which can be plugged or epoxy filled. So for $15 plus some epoxy or bolts, you have a pressure-resistant container which is designed to keep water in against 175psi. That translates into beyond recreational scuba depth. I'd guess that the same simple o-ring seal would keep pressure OUT, meaning that you could take one of these, drop in a small water resistant VHF, and dive with it. On the surface, if you needed the radio, just open the container, take it out, and use it. The water-resistance should be sufficient on the surface that way, and the clear filter case good insurance against a leaky seal.

Not as small as a Lifeline, but using a conventional radio (check dimensions!) and a lot cheaper.

FWIW.

.....-
If you check the SARSAT system or ask the personnel (USCG here in the US) you may be surprised about the PLB's and EPIRB's. Sometimes the system can take multiple satellite passes and 2-3 hours before a dispatch is made, as they first try to verify the emergency by using your contact phones and wait for position confirmation from multiple satellites. Then there's a question of whether there are SAR assets available. On contrast, VHF can reach any vessel you might see, including your own dive boat which has simply forgotten you and headed home. (Yes, that happens here too often.) Or, a different dive boat coming out to the same area.

The original Lifeline is a bit clunky and the watertight seal doesn't really impress me, but then again, it has to perform better than the plastic whistles.
There is no guarantee -especially in foreign waters or even in remote areas of offshore US waters- that anyone else will be monitoring a marine VHF radio to hear your voice or receive an automated digital distress AIS/DSC transceiver signal should your diveboat lose radio communications with you on your VHF Nautilus Lifeline for whatever reason. (Remember, even nominal working VHF radio communications are limited to line-of-sight ranges of 3 to 10km maximum).

On the other hand, a working activated registered PLB picked up by the COSPAS/SarSat Network is constantly monitored and continuously updates rescuers where you are and identifies who you are. The satellite in geosynchronous orbit immediately detects your PLB signal to generate an initial alarm, while the low earth orbit satellites may require 90 minutes maximum to accurately fix your position via doppler shift on your 406MHz signal. The newer generation PLB's have GPS transceivers which can automatically uplink exact position coordinates to the COSPAS/SarSat Network.

Your emergency contact that you designate per your PLB registration confirms to rescue authorities that you are offshore and he/she should provide a general day-to-day travel itinerary -that you smartly prepared beforehand & detailed just for this emergency contingency- of where you planned to be diving (similar concept to a back-up log/manifest like a Pilot's Flight Plan or Sailor's Float Plan). Additionally if you are a US Citizen this Emergency Contact should also be following-up by notifying the US Embassy of the particular offshore foreign country waters you are lost in.

IMO of last resort, this is your last best chance of rescue when all other forms of distress signaling fails:

Last edited:
kev-
As the OP said pretty clearly: "there is NO rescue operation here..."
COSPAS/SARSAT is NOT universal. It is NOT the magic help that we in the US often think it will be. Even where the system is deployed and there are rescue assets? There aren't always assets. Even the USCG has had substantial delays because ALL of the equipment in range was either on previous assignment, or literally down for maintenance with no spares available.
Given a choice between "COSPAS/SARSAT has no responders here" and "Maybe someone has their radio on" which would you choose?
There are even fairly large nations where there is no "Coast Guard". There's an all-volunteer coast watch of limited means, and a widely scattered Navy with large areas uncovered by air assets. Satcoms are not the magic bullet that they are often made out to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom