Nautilus Lifeline in Europe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vikener

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In Norway the DSC function at the Naulilus Lifeline is not allowed used. The reason is that the unit is not according to standard Radio and telecommunications terminal equipment - European standards - Enterprise and Industry. This EU standard says that a handheld VHF with DSC needs to be beetween 3 and 6 Watt. The Nautilus Lifeline has max 1.85 watt output.

This is a problem for me, because now i can`t get an MMSI number in Norway. Now i can only register it as a VHF without distress function. I want to register the unit legally in Norway, because then i get a call signal and can also use it to ex order phonecalls from a VHF coast station. I know i can get a MMSI number from England. If i register it in Norway as a VHF without DSC it can maybe be a problem if i have the MMSI number from England?
Have this been an issue in other european countries? This EU standard should be common for all european countries, and not only for Norway...
embarassed.gif

Sorry for my poor english!

Hi Vikener, thank you for your comments.

We are aware of the issues concerning the Lifeline in Norway and are working to get them resolved. The reason the Lifeline has only a 1.85W output is to conserve battery life.

It is important to know that in an emergency situation while out on the water, you are allowed to use any means necessary to call for help. This means that there will be no repercussions if you press the red button while in distress.

Sincerely,
The Lifeline Team

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom