For Sale Nautilus Lifeline - Discontinued version - VHF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xhris...

Current gen models are $215. at DGX...an additional $30. for customers wanting the custom case/lanyard...

Warren
Nautilus GPS....jpg

I believe the reason they were discontinued was because the operator of the radio under law has to hold a vhf licence.

So if you can see your boat but they can’t see you, you have to call emergency services and everyone in 30 mike radius with gps rather than call your boat back to you alone.

How ridiculous.
You do not need a VHF license. It's a simple marine band 2-way radio, plus an emergency beacon in one unit. The new model lacks the 2 way marine radio.

That was the reason for the change, at least what I heard. The FCC would no longer permit the 2-way and the AIS/DSC to share the same transmitter. Nautilus either had to disable the talk function or put in a separate transmitter so that your position "beacon" would not be interrupted when you tried to talk. That is, of course, why the old ones are valued. It's great to be able to talk to the boat in non-emergency situations.

You do not need a VHF license. It's a simple marine band 2-way radio, plus an emergency beacon in one unit. The new model lacks the 2 way marine radio.

The old generation only broadcast DSC to all marine radios and about twice the size of the new model.

The new model broadcast AIS & DSC alerts. For the first 30 minutes of the AIS alert will be broadcasted to specific MMSI (i.e., the liveaboard MMSI that you synchronize the device to, you can synchronize it via iPhone or Android phone), before broadcasting to the rest of surrounding boats within the horizon.

This new Personal AIS beacon is more effective and can get quicker response than PLB, especially in 3rd world countries. 6 out of 12 liveaboards that I have ever been on (Palau Aggressor, Maldives Aggressor, Spoilsport, Argo, Nautilus Undersea and Galápagos Master) loan one for each divers for free of charge during the trip.

Hmm last 2 sold on eBay $350 and $202.50

The old generation only broadcast DSC to all marine radios and about twice the size of the new model.

The new model broadcast AIS & DSC alerts. For the first 30 minutes of the AIS alert will be broadcasted to specific MMSI (i.e., the liveaboard MMSI that you synchronize the device to, you can synchronize it via iPhone or Android phone), before broadcasting to the rest of surrounding boats within the horizon.

This new Personal AIS beacon is more effective and can get quicker response than PLB, especially in 3rd world countries. 6 out of 12 liveaboards that I have ever been on (Palau Aggressor, Maldives Aggressor, Spoilsport, Argo, Nautilus Undersea and Galápagos Master) loan one for each divers for free of charge during the trip.
Not quite. You could also talk to your boat on the old version on its chat channel - not 16 - like with any marine vhf radio. Handy.

Not quite. You could also talk to your boat on the old version on its chat channel - not 16 - like with any marine vhf radio. Handy.

So, Amazon is making false advertisement?

Amazon.com : Ideations Design Nautilus Lifeline Marine Rescue GPS with Silicone Case : Sports & Outdoors

“Description
Introducing a new silicone case! The Nautilus LifeLine Silicone Pouch is designed to keep your Nautilus Lifeline GPS in a secure, yet highly functional position on your gear. Be sure to protect your investment and also give yourself an easy way to always have your LifeLine GPS close at hand. The all new Nautilus LifeLine Marine Rescue GPS is less than half the size of our original radio and is incredibly simple to use. Simply undo the latch and open, turn on, remove the red distress cap and press the red button. That’s it! Your gps position accurate to 1.5 metres and a man overboard distress message will be broadcast to all AIS equipped ships up to 34 miles away as well as a special DSC message to the marine radio on your own vessel. Your Nautilus LifeLine floats and is waterproof in all sea conditions., Just keep the o-ring clean and forget about it for the next 5 years! Don’t get left behind!”

You're missing each other.

Dan, I think what he meant was that that it is not correct that the old version "only broadcast DSC" because it also allows you to chat. I think you just meant to mean that the old one doesn't have AIS, only DSC, and not meaning to exclude the chat function. Nobody disputes the new one is smaller.

I, for one, really like the ability to chat with the boat. For that reason, I treasure my Gen 1 and have no inclination to switch. However, if I didn't have one, I would get a Gen 2 rather than have nothing. My buddy carries a PLB in a Custom Divers canister, so between us we're pretty well covered.

You're missing each other.

Dan, I think what he meant was that that it is not correct that the old version "only broadcast DSC" because it also allows you to chat. I think you just meant to mean that the old one doesn't have AIS, only DSC, and not meaning to exclude the chat function. Nobody disputes the new one is smaller.

I, for one, really like the ability to chat with the boat. For that reason, I treasure my Gen 1 and have no inclination to switch. However, if I didn't have one, I would get a Gen 2 rather than have nothing. My buddy carries a PLB in a Custom Divers canister, so between us we're pretty well covered.

LOL

I ass-u-me it was pretty obvious that the radio is no longer in the new model. Radio takes a lot of space. The bulk of this new model is mainly the 2 CR123 batteries. Its electronic occupies only about the size of my thumbnail.

LOL

I ass-u-me it was pretty obvious that the radio is no longer in the new model. Radio takes a lot of space. The bulk of this new model is mainly the 2 CR123 batteries. Its electronic occupies only about the size of my thumbnail.
Linguistic humor

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom