Nautilus Guadalupe July Season Openers - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdevic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been thinking about doing Guadalupe cage dive for years. Nautilus has been consistently offering half off special on its July season openers on each of their boats. I understand the big females usually come late in the season. For half the price, I am ok seeing smaller males - as long as I can see them.

Anyone has done Guadalupe in mid July? thanks a lot!

Mid-July is pretty early, but maybe the Nautilus folks have developed a system for getting the sharks to drop-by their boats. Will they guarantee that you will see sharks in mid-July? (My question is not intended negatively; I simply don't know what kind of guarantee Nautilus offers their early season clients. It is a question I would ask if I were considering doing an early season booking with Nautilus or any other operator).

The operators I have used when I've gone with don't even schedule trips until early-September. Keep in mind that the water is cold and hanging out in a shark cage if tough if nothing bothers to drop by to check you out.

Some operators do a reduced price thing if their boats aren't full. Basically, you put your name on a list and they call you a few days before the boat departs. I know a couple of guys who've made the Guadalupe trip at a reduced cost by doing this. Several years ago, I got a call from an outfit that had a late cancellation and wanted to fill a trip; they offered me a great deal, but the trip date wouldn't work with my schedule.

-AZTinman

We went with them in early October, and the Big Females were just starting to show up. Before that, it is more smaller males. We always had 1-4 sharks around at all times, including "Lucy", one of the larger females ever seen there. Not sure what July would be like, but IMHO if you can, go later, at least October/November.

I originally wanted to see great whites in Cape Town as a day trip (much cheaper in comparison and 1 day is enough for me to check off the bucket list), but it never happened for various seasons 3 times I was there... So, when I found out about Nautilus/Guadalupe, I just cannot justify the full price in addition to the number of vacation days required. I'd rather go back to SA for sardine run and swing by CPT again for the sharks.

It seems Nautilus is fairly established and they have multiple boats out (and the Nautilus belle amie I am looking at for July 2020 is a week later compared to its sister boat). I assume they have a system if they've done this for years and I've found no negative reviews for those season openers.

I guess I will take the chance to secure a slot for now.

*EDIT - just saw on their website
"
Note that July and August is our favorite time to visit Guadalupe and see the most sharks. Current record is 9 great whites circling the cages at one time.
"

Cape Town won't give you 200ft. visibility with multiple great white sharks and maybe even some surprise other visitors (had a shortfin mako appear last time).

Nautilus is great. I highly recommend them. I'd go for it!

Cape Town won't give you 200ft. visibility with multiple great white sharks and maybe even some surprise other visitors (had a shortfin mako appear last time).

Nautilus is great. I highly recommend them. I'd go for it!

Agree, we did Capetown twice and doesn't even come close to Guadalupe. Nautilus does an extremely good job, and we've signed up with them again for Socorro in May.

Jdevic - Re: August and July, I believe it would most likely be males in larger groups, and still spectacular.

Nautilus did have a cage breech a few years ago. If I recall correctly, a large shark attempted to access a chum bag that was positioned inside the cage. The shark breeched through the top of the cage and got stuck. The video went viral on social media for a while.

Breech issues that year resulted in a response by the Mexican government to call a meeting with operators. Violations of the Guadalupe Biosphere rules were addressed with all operators. I heard that the meeting resulted in several operators making adjustments to align with the rules.

Seeing really big sharks at Guadalupe is an amazing experience!

-AZTinman

Nautilus did have a cage breech a few years ago. If I recall correctly, a large shark attempted to access a chum bag that was positioned inside the cage. The shark breeched through the top of the cage and got stuck. The video went viral on social media for a while.

Breech issues that year resulted in a response by the Mexican government to call a meeting with operators. Violations of the Guadalupe Biosphere rules were addressed with all operators. I heard that the meeting resulted in several operators making adjustments to align with the rules.

-AZTinman

They mentioned that when we were on board. Evidently they had to redesign the cages slightly, but the openings are still pretty good size ( see my sig picture ) and don't restrict your viewing in any way. Also, DM's are no longer allowed to be up top and outside the cage at any time when submerged. Many of the trips have a Mexican official on board to make sure rules are followed, but ours was one of a few that didn't.

-AZTinman

I think I saw that viral video on facebook. How thrilling lol!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom