Nautieye NE22 Video/Focus/Spot Light review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Now for a video light review! I have the Nautieye NE22 light for review today. This light is a multi function light that can be used as a video light, a snoot (not with a snoot attachment, just a focused beam), red, blue, or combined red and blue. Each selection can also be adjusted in light intensity. I did a video review of the light and features here:

I ran bucket tests to check published specs on this, which took forever because I checked burn on high and lowest power for the video, spot, and red light.
Here you can see a few of the test runs
P1010334.JPG
P1010335.JPG
P1010340.JPG

The only published specs on burntime where video light(1800 lumen) 60 mins and spot (300 lumens in a 5 degree spot) 120+ mins. My results were as follows:

Mode High Power Low Power
Video 1hr 25min 6hrs 27min
Spot 5hr 12mins 21hrs 57min
Red 6hr 53 mins 20hrs 46min

I did not test blue only since it should match the red times, and I don't know anyone who runs blue and red so did not run that test. Real test numbers on this are quite a bit better than published.
I am told the battery on this is a genuine Panasonic and I tend to believe it is based on my test of it. It is a 5000Mah battery and when i tested it with discharge it came out to 5218Mah.

I have never shot with a red focus light so I wanted to get this and see how that works out for keeping the critters from running. This will also let me try out some snoot type blackwater shots. It is quite convenient for me to mount up on a cross arm with either a single ball clamp or a flex arm that lets me get the light out and over a macro subject.
P1010269.JPG
P1010275.JPG
P1010273.JPG

If you remove the ball joint it does have a tail connector you can attach a boltsnap or lanyard(included) and use as a handheld dive light giving you multiple lighting capabilities. It is however, intended as a photo/video light.

Here I show video light spread, and a comparison to the DGX600 video light. These were all shot 26" from my garage door with a fixed iso, aperture, and shut speed.

High
NE22 flood high.JPG

Med
NE22 flood med.JPG

Low
NE22 flood low.JPG

comparison
NE22 DGX600flood video.JPG

Continued light function puctures

Spot High
NE22 spot high.JPG

Spot Med
NE22 spot med.JPG

Spot Low
NE22 spot low.JPG

Red High
NE22 red high.JPG

Red Med
NE22 red med.JPG

Red Low
NE22 red low.JPG

Blue High
NE22 blue high.JPG

Blue Med
NE22 blue med.JPG

Blue Low
NE22 blue low.JPG

I also wanted to try out this light's auto off functions for shooting with this in red light mode. There is a sensor that detects a flash and shut the focus light off so that no red highlights are seen in the image being shot. I tested this out and it worked just like it was supposed to.

These two picture show the difference between shooting with the focus light on while strobes are on low power and the auto off feature with the same low power strobe output.

_DSC2697.JPG
_DSC2698.JPG

Here is a comparison of the video light with the much larger NE23 12K video light
NE22 NE23.JPG

And this compares the spot 5 degree beam against other lights NE650 10 degree beam, and T1800H 6 degree beam.
NE22 spot NE650  T1800H.JPG

Pros
⦁ Small form factor, easy to use mounted without adding much weight, and small enough to be used as a hand held
⦁ Long burn times
⦁ The ability to do macro snoot type work without the extra gear
⦁ Many functions in one light

Cons
⦁ The video light has a slight greenish hue to my eye. That is easily correctable in RAW images, video takes a bit more work.
⦁ There are multiple functions and LED's for each which creates some unevenness in the light falloff pattern. This is most noticeable in the red and blue as seen in the pictures. I do not expect this to be much of an issue though.

I have worked out discounted pricing with Nautieye. The MSRP on this light is 299. I can offer it at a discount at 259 buyer pays shipping. If there is enough interest in this light I can place an order.

Back
Top Bottom