Nauticam Sony a7II with WWL & 90mm Lenses Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackConnick

Jack Connick
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
We've posted a new customer review of the Nauticam Sony a7rII system in the Optical Ocean Sales Resource Center:

Tor-9.jpgNauticam Sony a7II with WWL & 90mm Lenses Review

Shortly before heading to the Philippines, customer Tor Trygstad decided to upgrade his Nauticam Sony RX100 compact system to the new, full-frame Sony a7rII SLR in a NA-A7II Nauticam housing. Although he really likes shooting macro, and housing the Zeiss 90mm macro lens was his first lens choice, he was impressed with the new Nauticam WWL-1 “Wet Wide Angle” lens system that works with the Sony 28mm f/2.0 lens.

“It was less expensive and much smaller than housing the Zeiss 16-35mm lens,” Tor said, “and having that ultra-fast Sony f/2.0 lens, coupled with the low-light capabilities of the Sony a7rII sealed the deal.”...

...More here

Tor-5.jpg

Jack,

Thanks for publishing. Does Tor follow scubaboard?

I use an RX100 and thought several times of upgrading to full frame. Apart from the bulkiness and difficulty of pinning down the right camera (oh and those many numbers after the $) one thing that keeps me off is the lack of zoom. I'm not a big fan of macro and really dislike the fisheye distortion. Something covering roughly 20-70mm (above water, ff equivalent) would suffice, and that's close to what I get with the RX100 + wet lens.

Would like to hear from Tor how it felt to switch to fixed focal lengths and lose all the "middle ground" focal lengths.

No, Tor doesn't follow SB.

I've shot the A7 and A7II, as well as the RX100 myself. The Sony 28mm f/2 is a nice lens above water for scenics, great in low light. With the WWL lens you get 130 deg. UW. So not at all a bd lens above water. Actually so is the 90mm, I had some fun shooting it this summer.

There are certainly great mid-range lenses, the Sony 16-35 for instance, but they are bulky and expensive to house. I think for UW the Nauticam WWL lens is a pretty good option.

I think one thing is to realize that when you move to a FF/MILC/DSLR camera you tend to move towards shooting primes after a while. They are faster, cheaper, smaller to house and tend to be sharper as well. I'm not saying I don't like to shoot my Nikon 17-35mm lens, but UW I much prefer the Sigma 15mm FE.

You learn to "zoom with your fins", move close and eliminate water between you and the subject.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom