Nauticam NA-5DMKIII vs Sea & Sea MDX-5D Mark III

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DuncanLee

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for housing for Canon 5DM3. Can anyone give their opinion or experience of their housing? Mainly Nauticam and Sea & Sea?

Some of the feedback from my friends and my thoughts.

Nauticam:
Like the port lock at the housing and also the lock between extension ring and dome.
Like the flash light trigger since I am using Inon D2000 strobe that yet to upgrade to Sync Cable.
Doubt: The housing lock (the black level the front and back of housing) easily break and is made up of plastic.
Doubt: The nob or plastic gear inside housing wear and tear or loose easily.
Doubt: Handle is kind of rubber, feel good. but the wear and tear on my nauticam flexi tray is bad after 3 diving trip: 50 dives.
** Is the bulkhead that sync cable connect is seal off from the internal of housing? Less chance of leaking?

Sea & Sea:
Like the Price. Is cheaper than Nauticam in Singapore.
Like the housing lock, the build and seem everything is made of metal and build like a tank.
Doubt: No extension lock for dome.
Doubt: The version 2 housing have similar flash trigger, but is new and not sure how well it work.

The Nauticam parts do not break easily and the housing is well made. The light inlet for flash is sealed, the parts you thread on are not water tight and do not need to be. The one downside is related to the port/dome connection Oring. You cannot see the O-ring as its being seated therefore you cannot be certain of the seal. This is one reason why the vacuum systems for them have become so popular as you can then verify the seal. The handles flex quite a bit on the Nauticam and if you have concerns, you can add a plate to the top that they sell and make it more solid. Its another $50 to spend, more or less. I have not added this part and have had no troubles with the handles on mine.

In comparison, I had a Nexus housing before and LOVED it. That system allows you to see the O-ring for port/dome connections as they are being connected and have confidence it is connected correctly. Sadly, there is no support for Nexus in the USA and selling the used housing is difficult here so when I upgraded camera's, I sold the Nexus and bought a Nauticam. I have no complaints with the Nauticam other than that I really need to buy a vacuum leak check system.
The Nauticam housing for my D7000 is about 0.5kg heavier than the D90 Nexus housing I was using.
If there had been a decent secondary market for Nexus in the US, I would have bought another one.

I have no experience or knowledge of Sea and Sea housings.

Hope that is some help.

Back
Top Bottom