Nauticam [Mode] wheel tire coming off

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fmerkel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have an Oly EPL-3 in a Nauticam housing, but I think this problem may apply to many Nauticam housings.
The round wheel that changes the [Mode] on top of the camera has a small round "tire" fixed around it. I don't know if it was originally glued on, or how it was attached, but mine is no longer attached and simply spins off if I try to change Modes.
Found this out early in a 2 week trip to Bonaire. Took 4x tiny little strips of duct tape and 'strapped' it on at the 4 points of the compass. The tire still squirmed a bit but it did the trick.....for awhile. Now the stickum is getting messy and coming off, so I took it off and cleaned it up. But the tire is way too lose and sloppy to stay on by itself when used at all.

It appeared the wheel the tire goes on was held on by a small allen screw. Got my allen set and then discovered it seems to actually be held on by a round hollow piece of spring steel, if that is indeed what it is. Tried to push it out but was not able to budge it at all with the force I was willing to apply (not a lot).

This is got to be a somewhat common problem. It's a marginal design at best. Short of sending the whole thing back to Nauticam for a huge bill for a tiny tiny piece of rubber what is the fix for this? I've seen similar problems with cameras in Oly housings.

What you are describing is called a roll pin and to remove them you typically need a correctly sized pin punch and a hammer and you would need to provide support for the shaft behind. I have an EM-1 MkII in Nauticam and it has a small set screw in the wheel so a different design. On mine the wheel is spring loaded so I could remove the small frame that carries the wheel, but yours again may be a different design. Does the shaft come through directly or is it geared and spring loaded?

Best I could think of is to glue it back in place - choice of adhesive would depend on the fit of the "tyre" if it is loose you could try a thicker adhesive or even epoxy putty, if it is reasonably tight fit, maybe araldite?

The shaft is a direct through the housing shaft. The roll pin accurately names what I was describing. I figured to get it out would take some kind of controlled violence.

The tire fits well (appropriately?) but not tight. I doubt it was ever kept in place by pressure. It's kind of a tiny rubber band.
I figure there must have been some kind of adhesive that has come loose over repeated stress and time. I'd be loath to epoxy it on. Epoxy is so permanent if something goes wrong, and tends toward being brittle. I had to look up araldite, which also seems to be basically a 2 part epoxy style glue.

I'd be more disposed to a contact type adhesive except those need to be perfectly positioned before contact mating or you can no longer move them. There are some versions that kind of 'cure' over time but are more of the rubbery sort than epoxy.
Maybe a thin smear of bathtub type silicone? Plenty of time to put it together, and should set up pretty firmly, but could still be peeled off if necessary. Hmmmm.....That might be an idea I had not thought about yet.

Figured I'd call Nauticam tomorrow and see if they have any input beyond "pack it up and send it in. That will be $250 thank you".

Thank you for the information and the brainstorming. Very useful.

If it's a decent fit then Silicone could well work, it generally bonds quite well if you can clean the surfaces, have a read about the various types available. See you're in Seattle, you could ask Optical Ocean if they can order the part for you??

If you try the silicone, some plastics may not bond that well with silicone, this is supposed to be designed for bonding plastics: Silicone Adhesive for Plastic | RTV Silicone Adhesives

The wheel is a part that can be ordered direct from Nauticam (order fulfilled by Reef photo in FL). I imagine a good dealer can order it for you as well. Mine was not only loose but split, so I just ordered the new wheel.

Being in Canada it took a long time - I should have ordered a few...

As for removal, I used a soft mallet and an appropriate sized punch and it came out easily. Installation was just small needle-nose pliers and finger push.

Hmm, checked with local dealer, Optical Oceans, who said they did not send out the 'tire'. Didn't even think to ask about the entire wheel+tire.
Recommended re-attaching it with some kind of silicone that sticks to plastic and rubber.

Did you support the wheel somehow when you knocked the roll pin out? Would be easier to glue on if it was out.

Depending on what type of plastic the wheel is, adhesion might be a problem, for example polyethylene can be difficult to bond to. No Idea what material they would use for the wheel though. Finding the right pin punch would be key to removing easily.

I show the part as "Nauticam control wheel rubber gear" and it cost $20 from Reef Photo & Video, which is where Nauticam sent me when I inquired about the part. It is the entire wheel - metal center plus rubber "tire".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom