NAUI Instructor Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradMM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is there a reason NAUI is not listed here separately? Is it just the ones that support SB that get listed?

My question was about the NAUI Instructor course. Is there a written test that is given to new students before they get very far into the course? I completed my online exam but the instructor also has a written one and I was just curious if it's unique to him or is it SOP?

Thanks

It is recognized that you are from Texas were men are men
But
You are 65 years old and want to subject your self to the rigors of becoming a NAUI SCUBA Instructor?

What's wrong with being a dive master ?
SDM

NAUI Instructor # A-27 ( only two A instructors are alive today)

Sam,

I don't have any interest in being a professional instructor, I am retired and plan to stay that way. I got my OW in '91 and had no basis for evaluating my instruction. My Advanced and Master were taught by a guy who was the ex-husband of the primary person in the shop (yes, he still worked there) and I never did one dive with him. I only passed because of my own intense study. My Divemaster was mostly helping this guy with his 1 on 1 instruction with some young guy. This is an opportunity to train with a guy who started diving in the 60's, maybe even earlier. He was a diver in the military. He's a wealth of knowledge. I have considered blowing it off and may still do that but I'm still interested in getting to be a much better diver.

The main Unique Selling Point or USP of NAUI is the "Freedom to Teach". What that means in practice, is that , as long as all standards are met and/or exceeded, the instructor can train the course however they want.

This allows courses to be tailored to local conditions in a way that many other agencies do not allow. For example, when i was teaching in Cape Town, South Africa, almost all dives were shore entries over rocks and longish surface swims in swell and waves to get to the site. As a result, I increased the requirements for the swim and fitness test portions of the courses I taught. If I were only training students in a tropical paradise with no waves and all dives from boats, I might not worry as much about the swimming portion.

In your case, the instructor has possibly added their own theory exam to the material, however they are supposed to do an exam with candidates in person before water training starts, this is to ensure knowledge retention and also avoid the situation where someone has had help during the online exams etc.

Oh, and NAUI has a section in the "Pro" section of the Board, but has never requested a section here AFAIK.

Back
Top Bottom