NAUI equivalent of CMAS' one star certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Does anyone here knows the NAUI equivalent of CMAS' one star certification please?

A local CMAS instructor is certifying his students as CMAS 1* after 4 hours in the pool, 4 hours class and 3 dives in the sea. I am not sure that this qualifies the graduates to be at the same level as NAUI's Scuba Diver certification or even PADI's Openwater diver level. Can anyone clarify please?

It is not the hours but the skill that is relevant.

When I took the CMAS * course five years ago it was five evenings times two hours (10h) of theory (presented by an instructor who had done a 30 year career as a teacher) and 5x2h in the pool and two open water dives 30 minutes each. The mentioned 4h+4h+3 dives sounds awfully little, but perhaps (s)he is a wonder instructor capable of twice the teaching speed?

Present CMAS standards: One Star Diver Training Programme

Does PADI take the CMAS 1* certification as a full certification equivalent to PADI's "Openwater Diver" certification?

---------- Post added August 31st, 2015 at 02:00 PM ----------

It is not the hours but the skill that is relevant.

When I took the CMAS * course five years ago it was five evenings times two hours (10h) of theory (presented by an instructor who had done a 30 year career as a teacher) and 5x2h in the pool and two open water dives 30 minutes each. The mentioned 4h+4h+3 dives sounds awfully little, but perhaps (s)he is a wonder instructor capable of twice the teaching speed?

Present CMAS standards: One Star Diver Training Programme

I just looked at their standards in the link you provided and it is listed specifically that they are required to do 5 dives in openwater. In the case I am referencing, they are only doing 3 dives.

Sounds like someone is a professional (=needs money for food)

...but in any case I would evaluate the divers skills and, more importantly, attitude, before making a judgement

Does PADI take the CMAS 1* certification as a full certification equivalent to PADI's "Openwater Diver" certification?

AFAIK, they do.

There's a written agreement between PADI and CMAS about crossover qualifications. I don't know if it's still valid, though. IIRC, the equivalences are roughly:
CMAS 1* = PADI OW
CMAS 2* = PADI Rescue "light"
CMAS 3* = PADI DM

Disclaimer: the above is taken from memory, but I've quoted the actual wording in one of the threads on what a CMAS cert really means.

---------- Post added September 1st, 2015 at 10:07 AM ----------

And here it is:

The crossover agreement between PADI and CMAS specifies the following:
  • C.M.A.S. One star Diver - may enroll - PADI Advanced Open Water course
  • C.M.A.S. One star* Diver plus a minimum of 9 logged dives, within 1 night dive, 1 navigation dive and 1 deep dive ( > 18 meters ) - may enroll - PADI Rescue Diver course
  • C.M.A.S. Two stars Diver - may enroll - PADI Dive Master course
  • PADI Open Water with a minimum of 5 logged dives - may enroll - C.M.A.S. Two stars diver course
  • PADI Advanced Open Water - may enroll - C.M.A.S. Two stars diver course
  • PADI Rescue Diver with a minimum of 25 logged dives - may enroll - C.M.A.S. Three stars diver course

The agreement is signed by Achille Ferrero (President of C.M.A.S.) and Drew Richardson (Vice President of PADI). So, according to both agencies:
PADI OW < CMAS* < PADI AOW < CMAS** &#8776; PADI Rescue < CMAS*** &#8776; PADI DM

It was in the American divers get no respect thread.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom