Nat Geo "Capturing the Deep" TV show

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I watched the National Geographic show "Capturing the Deep" today on the television.

In almost every scene, the National Geographic photographers were either lying on the reef or holding onto coral while taking their photos.

While I did see some instances where the photographers were on sand - that is not to what I am referring.

I am talking about photographers lying on coral or holding onto coral while taking photos. Not sand. Not wrecks. Not rocks.

Coral.

Anyone else see this?

I was talking to an operator who helps with the Kona Classic and they were saying that some of the most world renowned photographers who do all kinds of work for NatGeo and others regularly sit on the reefs while doing the various workshops. Really sad.

I've seen that program a hundred times (got it Tivo'd), and it has always struck me as odd, that especially towards the end of the program, Brian Skerry is ALL OVER the coral of Nikumaroro, trying to "get the shot". Granted part of what he is documenting is the fact that most of the coral & reef are already dead. But still ? :confused: David Doubilet, the other featured photographer, for the most part is in & out of wrecks, on & off the sand, which aren't as big a deal.

All in all, it's still a great show. I probably watch it once a week, if for nothing else, just to "de-stress". It's educational in many ways, and just darn fun to watch :) Both of the featured photographers have shot some really amazing photos throughout their careers.

i watched the same show yesterday and saw the same thing. they were all over the reefs - i was pretty surprised.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom