Nasty Looking Lobster Caught in Cape Cod Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ProfessorAronnax

Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard of the shell deforming bacteria affecting lobster but hadn't caught one with it until recently (actually my first bug of the year). I caught this one in Cape Cod Bay. Has anyone else been catching these ugly lobsters?

The first pic is freshly pulled from the water and the second pic is an unaffected cooked lobster next to an affected cooked lobster. Caught both bugs in same area.

Attachments

• nastylobster.jpg
    nastylobster.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 548
  • bugs 002.jpg
    bugs 002.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Doesn't make me want to get the butter all melted.

Did you eat it??

Believe me, it looks gross, but absolutely everything I've read states the meat is perfectly fine, in fact it's used commercially for lobster salad (watch for those McDonalds Lobster Rolls!) and frozen lobster meat. With that said, it's still sitting in my fridge.

I cant say that it looks to appatising.

WOW! If they can't even carry the eggs full term this will casue some major impact, won't it?

doesn't look tempting to eat at all...

I broke down the nasty lobster and the meat was perfect-exactly like the good lobster. Prepared some lobster salad out of it (it's a sin to waste lobster meat-even from nasty lobsters) and gave it to some grateful neighbors(the ones that play their Rap to loud)

Back
Top Bottom