Nassau/Paradise Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webbah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all! We're busy thinking about where we want our next vacation to be - not until Feb. '08. I'm pushing for either the Caymans, Riviera Maya or Hawaii but my wife is pushing for Atlantis on Paradise Island. I would prefer to dive daily but my wife and daughter (also certified divers) enjoy other parts of vacationing - beach, tanning, swimming, relaxing, etc. We went to Atlantis on our honeymoon (pre-diving) and really enjoyed it. We kind of promised ourselves that we would take our daughter there someday. But - how is the diving around the Nassau area? Would I be disappointed? I'm still a newbie with only 20 logged dives but have been to both Hawaii and Riviera Maya (Playa Del Carmen) for 10 and 6 of those logged dives, respectively. I'm always up for something new - but if I wanted to to dive 5+ days (as a compromise :wink: ) - would there be enough quality dive sites to explore on Nassau/Paradise Island? Any shore diving in that area?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jim

Oh - and another thing - we already know we prefer to be on a smaller boat without pre-determined bottom times. We don't like the cattle boat type of diving so if they only have that on Nassau........perhaps we'll go somewhere else.

On Nassau there's really only two options remaining. Stuart Cove's or Bahamas Divers. BD is at the base of the bridge to Paradise Island, SC's is on the south side of New Providence and does daily shuttles over and back from Paradise Island.

So that's got to cut into your dive time if you want to dive a lot. Afaik from reading here, there's no shore diving on New Providence - didn't notice anyone doing it while there either. There's also a water temperature drop in the Bahamas during the winter months if that's a consideration.

I've read many comments indicating that SC is not what you're looking for, they have 7 boats - up to 24 divers per boat, they limit bottom time and get most of the cruise ship trade. Most of the posts I read praising them are from fairly new or cruise ship divers and a lot deal with their shark feed - there are a lot of posts about SC in this forum so read some and decide for yourself. Not for me...

Although I've recently read somewhere that BD also tries to limit bottom time to make their schedule. Might be good to e-mail both to inquire.

One thing about diving in that area of the Caribbean is that at times the water tends to not be so clear as say Maui. But other times it's great. Just depends when/where you go.

It's very different diving in that area of the Caribbean than where you've been so far, the substrate is sand instead of rocky formations and the corals literally grow on top of each other in places. Add in the soft corals, fans etc. and it's a completely diifferent dive experience. I've dove Hawaii many times, the Sea of Cortez once and multiple Caribbean destinations for comparison.

Other places to consider that would meet both your/family's needs:

As mentioned - Grand Cayman - staying on Seven Mile Beach to meet the beach/tanning requirement. The diveops will pick you up either by boat or shuttle van anywhere along there for the short ride to their boats. There's several great easy shoredives both north and south of there - no diving off SMB. Clearest water you've ever seen also. A lot of the first dives off the boats tend to be deep along/down the walls so maybe get your AOW before you go. But whoooo is it pricey...makes the Bahamas look cheap...

Turks/Caicos has great beaches - especially near Grace Bay but it's all boat diving. About all I know about it - except it's on the short list for future dive trips.

St. Martin/St. Maarten might be another consideration, especially a small villa on the beach, you can do some shorediving in certain areas, and also dive Antigua and Saba on day trips. If we could've worked out the logistics, my group was going there next month.

I dove with SC feb 2006+Bahamma Divers Feb 2007 .SC is a one hour bus ride each way. Bahamma divers is ten minute bus ride from the Atlantis. Blue hole dive with Bahamma divers is pretty good. Dove on a sat. 22 divers 3 guides a real nightmare.
Dove on thursday 7 divers 3 guides-great dive. Stuart cove's wall dive is good.i would say SC's dive sites are better. there is a fellow that has a small boat next to SC 4 diver max. He gives you plenty of bottom time.He is more money/dive.The people that i met that went on it said it was worth it. You .have to book in advance with him.
I would try both SC and Bahamma Divers.

If your going to go to the Bahamas for good diving you need to get to the out islands, San Salvador, Bimini, Andros, Cat or Exuma.

Back
Top Bottom