Nassau dive ops-My impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ManBearPig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Dove with two dive ops this weekend here in Nassau and had dramatically different experiences.

Friday, dove with Stuart Cove's for 2 tanks in the AM, and 2 in PM for the Shark feed. This day was great. Everyone there was knowledgeable and experienced, gave good briefings, the dive boats were in good repair (if not a bit smokey, but not horribly so) and had a great attitude. This operation was a well oiled machine. While the boat did fell a bit crowded, it was not overwhelmingly so. I HIGHLY recommend the shark feed. I know there are people who do not agree with doing this, but SC has been doing it for years, and is one of the few places where I think it is ok.

The next day we dove with Bahama Divers. To say we were unimpressed is an understatement. Started with the shuttle driver who had watched Tokyo Drift one too many times. We get to the shop, and are the first ones there and when told, put our gear on the boat. Then more people start coming. and coming. and coming. I had to look to see if the dive shop was actually a clown car. Given the way the boat was laid out, only about 1/2 of the tank racks were easily usable, so everyone crowed up forward, and started taking tanks between two folks already set up ie, a person on each tank on the rack. It was the most crowded I have ever seen a dive boat in 19 years of diving.

While underway, the DM briefs us on the dive we will be doing, the Blue Hole. The weather was kicking up and while the DM was trying to convey to people not to get panicky on the surface, the result was the opposite. Also he held the briefing up on the flybridge, which was taking on a lot of spray, so we all got drenched before we even got in the water.

In the interim, I realized that I had left my computer in the hotel, and did not have my tables with me either. I asked for a copy of tables to plan my dive, and was told not to worry, we do this all the time. While it is completely my fault for forgetting my computer, to have a dive boat without a set of tables seems to me to be pretty irresponsible.

When it came to jump in, I come to realize, there is nothing to hold onto for the last 8' of the vessel. No hand rails, no overhead, no nothing. With full tanks and weight and having doned fins already as there is no other place to put them on, this was really dangerous. Yes the crew steadied people but this just seems pretty bush league.

During the dive briefing, the DM stated several times that the open water cert people should stay at 60 and the advanced people (less than 10% of the group) could go down to 90. Well when he jumps in, he proptly goes down to 90, and all of the OW cert people follow him. Seems if you want the majority of the people you are leading to stay at 60, maybe you should not go past 60 yourself.

The lack of hand rails on the boat became an even bigger issue when trying to get out of the water. There was only one ladder, and it only had a hand rail on one side. Ergo you could not really pull yourself up very well as you could only use one hand. As the stern was moving about 4' vertically, this made getting on the boat very awkward, and dangerous.

While the DM and frankly all the people at Bahama Divers were very nice, the execution and operation of the outfit was horrible. This was the worst dive operation I have ever dove with, and I would certainly suggest people keep their distance. Yes they are the only ones that do the Blue Hole to my knowlege, but that dive was not worth dealing with this poor operation.

Also, stayed at the Sheraton as we have previously, and not sure why, but the service was really, really bad. The time before it was just fine, but for some reason, everyone seemed to give exactly 0 ****s about the job they were doing this time.

I agree with your opinions completely. My wife and I had the same experiences. Stuart Cove also has a boat that leaves from the Atlantis marina. It's only a one tank dive and shallow, but if you're not in the mood for the long shuttle ride to Stuart's on the north side, it's a good option.

Although it's been a while since I last dove in Nassau, I did find that Stuart Cove's was one of the best in the area.
It was also a very exciting shark dive that I have plenty of video that I recorded myself along the video that they recorded.:)

Here's another one that really gets interesting at 1:17.

i just got back from a cruise to Key West and Nassau. The ship didn't offer diving at either location, so I was on my own. I contacted Bahama Divers in Nassau and was told that I could make their 1-tank dive in the afternoon. They gave me instructions on how to take a bus or taxi to their shop from the cruise ship. I got off the ship in ample time and opted to take a bus for $1.25 versus $20 for a taxi. On the bus to the shop, I realized I made a rookie mistake, leaving my C-Card and credit card on the ship. No worries; the shop looked up my PADI certification online, and they let me call my hubby back in the US to get my credit card number! Once on board, I found that I was diving with a family of 10 staying at the Atlantis. Half were snorkelers and the other half were beginner divers and they wanted to go to an easy spot. Being in the minority, I knew I had to go along with the plan and made the best of it. I was actually very pleased with the shallow site. They took us to the end of Paradise Island to a site with a sunken landing craft and a natural reef. The dive was briefed as 25-feet for 45 minutes, but when pressed they increased the time to 60 minutes. When we got close to the site, the divemaster told me to go ahead and suit up so I was the first one in the water while he managed the less experienced divers. I was given directions on where to go to see the wreck and the reef, and was more than happy to dive on my own. I like to take photos and I prefer that since I am the most boring person in the world to dive with since I don't like to rush around. I had no problem navigating the site, and although my maximum depth turned out to be only 20 feet, I had a pleasant dive with lots of fish life to keep me entertained for an hour. When I entered the water, a school of pesky seargent majors greeted me, nipping at me for food. As soon as others entered the water they left me alone. Then I was entertained by a stingray, large tilefish, lots of schoolmasters and gray snappers, bridled and goldspot gobies, beaugregories, cowfish, yellowtail damselfish, flamigo tongues, french angelfish, queen angelfish, bicolor damselfish, and many more fishes. Some of my favorites were small, curious nassau groupers that followed me around with puppy-dog eyes. No, this wasn't the best dive of my life; but it sure beat hanging around Nassau, shopping and drinking in the crowded tourist areas. I do want to applaud Bahama Divers for their clear directions on how and when to get to the shop, and their assistance when I left my cards behind. Also, they did provide transportation back to the cruise port after my dive. I think they also made a good dive choice for the majority of the divers and snorklers on the boat. Was it right for them to let me dive solo? In 20 feet of water with no current--hell yes!

Stuart Cove also has a boat that leaves from the Atlantis marina. It's only a one tank dive and shallow, but if you're not in the mood for the long shuttle ride to Stuart's on the north side, it's a good option.

I saw that Stuart Cove dive boat durng my dive at the end of Paradise Island. They did the same wreck and reef as Bahama Divers; however, they pulled up after we did, and were gone by the time I finished my dive. In other words, they were rushed in and out of the water and didn't get to dive as long as I did. :wink:

I saw that Stuart Cove dive boat durng my dive at the end of Paradise Island. They did the same wreck and reef as Bahama Divers; however, they pulled up after we did, and were gone by the time I finished my dive. In other words, they were rushed in and out of the water and didn't get to dive as long as I did. :wink:
Or they decided that reef was already too crowed with divers from the "Bahamas Divers" boat and decided to go someplace less crowded.

I dove with Bahama Divers a few weeks ago and had a great time.

But, then again, I only had four dives total under my (weight)belt so it's possible that I just don't know any better!

We had a great experience with them though!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom