Nassau dive operation advise need

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bugwink

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am headed to Cable Beach in January and I am looking for a dive shop/operation other than Stuarts Cove. I was there in July and did an AM 2 tank dive. Although we had a lovely dive, we found the experience similar to a cattle call with over crowded boats and short dive times. We also had to wait for over an hour to board the over crowded bus to return to our hotel. In my opinion, it was a bit overpriced for the inconvenience. We would love to charter a boat but since it is only 2 of us, I think that $650 is a bit out of our price range. Does anyone know of any small operations that do not "herd" as many people in and out of their shop? We are more than willing to take a cab. The "free" pick up and drop off are not necessary to us. I have found the following dive operations listed. If anyone has any information (positive/negative experiences, are they still open, etc.) about any of these, can they please pass them along? Thanks a bunch!

Bahamas Divers
Dive Dive Dive
Diver's Haven
Sun Skiff Divers
Nassau Scuba Center
Sun Divers Limited

Last edited:
SC's is as you describe it-safe, crowded, with good dives.

However, it is very close to "the only game in town", as "Dive Dive Dive" and "Nassau Scuba Center" went out of business several years ago, and of the others you have listed, I have heard only of "Bahamas Divers"-with mixed reviews.
I have heard of a new op-I don't recall the name (it may be one on your list??)

Would taking a cab to SC's shop make the crowds less annoying?
(not on the boats, or in the shop, but you'd save the hour wait for the return bus ride )??

I hope you find a good solution.

This time of year you won't encounter crowds at Coves.

I personally favor Coves above Bahama Divers because the crew at BD’s insists on setting your gear up for you and then bringing it to the swim board (where you must sit) for you to put it on.
This is NOT negotiable.

Having seen the way the gear is man handled and given my three years experience of Bahamian indigenous personnel’s approach to safety, i don't dive there. If you hire gear and have an excess of faith in the good lord you may feel differently. Certainly there are some excellent dives on the north coast, I've never (in about 15 dives at various times of year) seen them too busy and they're ALLOT closer to the resorts/ large hotels than S C's. By and large they are normally slightly cheaper than Coves and also have the only real dive shop on island at their base. They also have Collie who's argueably their only certain redeeming feature. If its dive gear and it doesn't work properly, Collie can fix it. End of discussion.......

I still can't raise Paradise charters. Left another message earlier on the cell no. the Land line doesn't seem to be connected. The sites referred to on the web page seem to indicate they're based north side which makes sense; to the south "custom aquatics" offer a bespoke dive/fishing charter service. I'm guessing Paradise charters are a similar deal for their side of the isle.

Bahamas Diving & Custom Scuba Packages and Dive Charters for Nassau
Contact Fran and Monty for up to date info.

FYI
Mustn't miss dives to the South:- Ray of Hope, Port Nelson and if you can get there the Autec Buoy. Plus ANY of the wall dives, Razor Back's supposed to be the best of the best. Oh and the shark dives of course (i imagine you already did those?)

To the North:- Lost Blue hole (Bahama Divers limit you to 80' ish. the sand mound bottom starts at 160' ish), Ship yard is supposed to be good, sea life at the Light House Reef is abundant at least!

Good luck.
Dan.

Dan,
Thank you for the excellent information! Quick question....Do you also know of any spots in Nassau where you can dive off the beach? I am bringing my parents with me on this trip and they would like to go snorkeling but sadly, my father gets very seasick and cannot handle a boat (he even gets sick in kayaks). So, I thought it would be a nice outing for us to go out together somewhere off the beach where they can snorkel and my sister and I can get in a quick dive. We snorkeled by the Sheraton Cable Beach last time and saw some nice fish but I was hoping to find a spot with less boat traffic to check out. Any thoughts?

family in mind, the three easiest places for shorediving/ snorkelling are (reverses preference)
1) cabage beach- head to the very East end to the rocky part. it gets hit by wicked swells. viz aint so good but you're never out of your depth unless you go all round the headland. Very Tame with little reward.
2) Clifton pier- always interesting and full of life, Stuart Coves calls this area the Nari Nari, marine charts the porpoise pens, bottoming out at 35 feet this area has ALL types of life from reef fish, conch, turtle etc. i've seen my only two ever octopus in 400 dives here. After Stuart's boats go in the evening a snorkeler will regularly see Spotted Eagle Ray picking food of the coral. there's moray eels, craw fish, crab and squid. you name it...
can be lively for those of average health. depends on the wind really.
3) caves beach. Right opposite Orange hill hotel, just west of cable beach this area has mostly sand and grass.with a careful eye and on a calm day you can see the coral heads off the shore. Park by the road then use the vantage of your elevated position to spot the heads. the best seam is about half way out to the drop off. That's about 500 yrds. it's only 12 to 15 feet deep but tiring. This area is as tame as anything. my Mom visited me a month ago and loved it. she hates snorkeling AND the sea!!! we saw craw fish and loads of reef fish. you're far enuff away from the tourist areas to avoid boat traffic and foolishness!
One point...do be aware of lion fish if you away from shore. those bugger's really spoil a holiday! That far out, the impact may well be terminal! Beware!

Good luck!
Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom