Nassau, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good question. I've been all over New Providence, and couldn't find any operation that recommended I shore dive, since the prime dive spots are near the wall. You can snorkel in semi-decent conditions off beaches in Nassau. They have coral heads just a swim away on many of the public beaches.

However while the water is gorgeously clear, the reef was in sorry shape. If you shore dive, you'd probably be right smack in the trash line, and we dove near sites close to shore and ran into oil slicks and paper waste, which I took pictures off.

The best thing about Nassau is the shark dives. They are pretty much all over the place, and like Pavlov's dogs, will come on cue to the Bahama Mama wreck once a boat moors there. Otherwise, they are often at the 'shark feeding' zone done by Stuart Coves.

Everything in Nassau is, to me, unnecessarily expensive. Poor value especially when the food tastes almost exactly like South Florida, except for the prices. If you're adventuresome, go into the middle of Nassau and get real Bahamanian cooking and much cheaper prices. Stay away from Atlantis, unless you want to get pay double premium for everything.

I won't return there if I had to pay for it. There are over 100,000 people in Nassau, and you'll notice metal bars protecting windows right. Its still different and fun compared say to the Florida Keys to get a slice of island style living, but for the same money you can get better diving elsewhere in the Bahamas. Good luck!

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1664

Thanks for the reply. Too bad about the reef. I guess this isn't going to be the best dive vacation we take this year. We're going back to Grand Cayman in October. Now that's good diving. Thanks again,

Rhonda

Saturation:
Good question. I've been all over New Providence, and couldn't find any operation that recommended I shore dive, since the prime dive spots are near the wall. You can snorkel in semi-decent conditions off beaches in Nassau. They have coral heads just a swim away on many of the public beaches.

However while the water is gorgeously clear, the reef was in sorry shape. If you shore dive, you'd probably be right smack in the trash line, and we dove near sites close to shore and ran into oil slicks and paper waste, which I took pictures off.

The best thing about Nassau is the shark dives. They are pretty much all over the place, and like Pavlov's dogs, will come on cue to the Bahama Mama wreck once a boat moors there. Otherwise, they are often at the 'shark feeding' zone done by Stuart Coves.

Everything in Nassau is, to me, unnecessarily expensive. Poor value especially when the food tastes almost exactly like South Florida, except for the prices. If you're adventuresome, go into the middle of Nassau and get real Bahamanian cooking and much cheaper prices. Stay away from Atlantis, unless you want to get pay double premium for everything.

I won't return there if I had to pay for it. There are over 100,000 people in Nassau, and you'll notice metal bars protecting windows right. Its still different and fun compared say to the Florida Keys to get a slice of island style living, but for the same money you can get better diving elsewhere in the Bahamas. Good luck!

http://dive.scubadiving.com/members/tripreports.php?s=1664

Very welcome, but it you're set make the most of it. Dive with the sharks. Its one of the best dives anywhere. If you liked Stingray city, imagine the same, except with sharks. Stuart Coves runs it, but Nassau Scuba Center can get you near Stuarts for 1/3rd less money and youl won't be in the middle of the frenzy, but with sharks coming from all points of the compass and spinning like tops, but preoccupied with Stuart's show, they'll be all over you but clearly without you in their sights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom