Narrowing down drysuit choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cosmic

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Some context - fairly new diver here, trying to do as much equipment research as I can so I buy gear that works for how I'll want to dive for the next few years. Also, I'm very lanky and so definitely feel the cold a lot.

Looking at cheap-ish drysuits that I can use in the UK year round and spots like the Red Sea or Japan in the winter (so 16-22c ish waters, I guess).

I've been looking at both the Seaskin ultra and the Fusion Bullet/Sport. The Seaskin is the cheapest, can be suitably customised, is obviously MTM over the Fusion but the Fusion is form hugging so that's less of an issue.

The Ultra is obviously going to be warmer in the UK (3mm compressed neo) but am I going to be far too hot in it wearing the minimum underneath when heading to places like the Red Sea in Nov-March (and therefore should I be looking at membrane over neo?)

I'm looking at the Ultra over the Nova (SeaSkin's membrane suit) as I'm a little concerned it'll come up super baggy on me even with the custom measurements. Thoughts?

Some context - fairly new diver here, trying to do as much equipment research as I can so I buy gear that works for how I'll want to dive for the next few years. Also, I'm very lanky and so definitely feel the cold a lot.

Looking at cheap-ish drysuits that I can use in the UK year round and spots like the Red Sea or Japan in the winter (so 16-22c ish waters, I guess).

I've been looking at both the Seaskin ultra and the Fusion Bullet/Sport. The Seaskin is the cheapest, can be suitably customised, is obviously MTM over the Fusion but the Fusion is form hugging so that's less of an issue.

The Ultra is obviously going to be warmer in the UK (3mm compressed neo) but am I going to be far too hot in it wearing the minimum underneath when heading to places like the Red Sea in Nov-March (and therefore should I be looking at membrane over neo?)

I'm looking at the Ultra over the Nova (SeaSkin's membrane suit) as I'm a little concerned it'll come up super baggy on me even with the custom measurements. Thoughts?

If you're new to drysuits, it's probably worth trying on different types to see what's right for you. Andark in Southampton is only about an hour or so drive from you and they carry a reasonable range of neoprene and trilam suits. If you're on a tight budget, the Typhoon isn't a bad entry level suit. I know they also have some heavily discounted Waterproof D7's at the moment. Not sure on sizes, but may be worth a call.

If you're new to drysuits, it's probably worth trying on different types to see what's right for you. Andark in Southampton is only about an hour or so drive from you and they carry a reasonable range of neoprene and trilam suits. If you're on a tight budget, the Typhoon isn't a bad entry level suit. I know they also have some heavily discounted Waterproof D7's at the moment. Not sure on sizes, but may be worth a call.
Thanks. I'm gonna try a few at my club and go from there, I think. Andark should be doable too.
Any thoughts on the temperature stuff?
Cheers

Thanks. I'm gonna try a few at my club and go from there, I think. Andark should be doable too.
Any thoughts on the temperature stuff?
Cheers

I use a crushed neoprene 0three drysuit. It's perfect all year round in UK waters, but I wouldn't use it abroad above 18°c because a) it would be too warm and b) it's heavy for traveling. In your position I'd be tempted by a trilam. Remember though, it's all about thermal layers. Trilam alone won't offer any thermal protection so you want a selection of thermals from base layer up.

I use a crushed neoprene 0three drysuit. It's perfect all year round in UK waters, but I wouldn't use it abroad above 18°c because a) it would be too warm and b) it's heavy for traveling. In your position I'd be tempted by a trilam. Remember though, it's all about thermal layers. Trilam alone won't offer any thermal protection so you want a selection of thermals from base layer up.
I've heard some people saying they still wore reasonably thick thermal layers for summer UK waters, so I figured a bear minimum underlayer in a 3mm drysuit might be doable. I'll try a couple and get a better handle of how cold I'm getting.

C...

Contact Dive Right In Scuba...UK based...all the right answers to all the questions...

If you were in North America...I would suggest DUI...crushed neoprene..eg. CF-200...the best...just me...

Good luck in your search...lots of pit-falls...ask all the questions...

Soft feet allow the suit to be completely turned inside out for proper cleaning and drying...front diagonal zipper allows self-donning/doffing...seals...I chose neoprene for warmth/comfort/durability...pockets...your choice/pee valve...your choice...proper sizing...enough cannot be said about proper sizing...if the suit is too large it traps air...if too small...restricts movement...

Think lots...ask all the questions...buy once...

Best...

Warren

C...

Contact Dive Right In Scuba...UK based...all the right answers to all the questions...

If you were in North America...I would suggest DUI...crushed neoprene..eg. CF-200...the best...just me...

Good luck in your search...lots of pit-falls...ask all the questions...

Soft feet allow the suit to be completely turned inside out for proper cleaning and drying...front diagonal zipper allows self-donning/doffing...seals...I chose neoprene for warmth/comfort/durability...pockets...your choice/pee valve...your choice...proper sizing...enough cannot be said about proper sizing...if the suit is too large it traps air...if too small...restricts movement...

Think lots...ask all the questions...buy once...

Best...

Warren
Appreciate the response. At the moment gravitating towards the SeaSkin Ultra for the silicon seals, price, weight (apparently it's only 3.6kg? I could live with that) w/ socks. Will get it oval ring fitted so I can buy some Ultimas if I want to go down that route. Just hoping it won't be unbearably hot for winter months down south somewhere really!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom