Naples FL June 11-18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Folks,
I'm taking my 13 year old son to Naples for a visit with his grandparents and I'm considering breaking away for a quick dive day. I'm only interested in recreational limits and a quality operator for this trip. Would prefer to stay away from cattle boats and large groups. Based on my quick search I don't see many to chose from. Beyond that are there must see locations to hit? Any technical diving shops that might also provide some information as well. Sorry for all the questions just want to remove any stress of tracking all this down when I'm there. Thanks for the ongoing support!!!

Not many options in Naples. Not the best diving location in Florida. I would consider driving the 2 hours to cross I-75 and diving the east coast of Florida near Pompano Beach. Dixie Divers or Scubatyme would be some options for a charter.

Are you wanting to dive locally? I live just "up the road" from Naples (Bonita Springs). There isn't much local diving here. There are two boats I'm aware of and probably few more I'm not familiar with. They don't run regular trips so being a single will be an issue for you. Your best bet is to take a day trip over to either Key Largo or Pompano Beach/Ft. Lauderdale. If you are OK with a slightly longer day head to Palm Beach or Jupiter. That area is where I do just about all of my diving.

Sharing a bit more details in case you are still interested in diving locally:

These are the three shops I am aware of in Collier County (Naples).
SCUBAdventures - this is the shop I use for my tank service and fills. They are an SDI shop.
Scuba Outfitters - the one PADI shop in Naples
Scuba Marco - a PADI shop on Marco Island
That's it. Those are the three shops I am aware of in the Naples area. There are a few more in Ft. Myers but they are 45-60 minutes north of Naples.

These are the two boats I'm aware of:
Offshore Naples - This is the boat I use when I dive in the Gulf. I know the owner ... he's a good guy. This is primarily a fishing/spearo boat. He does occasionally run "sight seeing" scuba focused trips but it is typically in coordination with a shop who books out the boat. I've scheduled a 3-tank off shore trip with him through SCUBAdventures for 7/24 but that's obviously not when you'll be here.
Scuba Marco - Scuba Marco have a small boat. I've not been out with them before but they do run somewhat regular trips. You could check to see if they are running anything the days you are here. Marco Island is 30-45 minutes south of Naples depending upon where you are in Naples.​

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. I dive locally on a regular basis. I typically travel over to Palm Beach or Broward Counties, occasionally Key Largo and a time or two a year I get out in the Gulf. I'm more than happy to help answer any questions you may have about options

I have heard that diving around Marco can be decent, all depending on tides, weather, and length of time since last rainfall. I believe they do some diving just out of the mangroves, and while there is not a lot to see, that time of year you could stumble on a turtle, manatee, bull shark or who knows what else? We are always on Marco in the winter/spring, and the diving is not good then, so cannot speak from experience.

Scuba Marco has reported decent conditions recently near shore on their Facebook page. That will change rapidly now that rainy season is here but it may be worth a try over the next two weeks. Once rainy season is in full bloom with daily heavy rain I doubt nearshore conditions will be worth the cost of the charter.

...I would consider driving the 2 hours to cross I-75 and diving the east coast of Florida near Pompano Beach. Dixie Divers or Scubatyme would be some options for a charter.

This.

I drive four hours from Tampa to get to Lauderdale and PB and just spent the weekend with ScubaTyme diving wrecks (Miracle of Life and Hydro Atlantic twice).

Jimmy is a great captain for ScubaTyme and he gauges his drops exceptionally well.

Nick and Eric are great DMs, too.

All have technical training and experience so you don’t have to worry about giving a rec captain or DM a crash course in technical diving just to have a productive conversation or solve a simple problem.

Both DMs earned their tips. I’m definitely NOT a diver who looks for valet service. They earned their tips by smoothly running the boat, staying alert and ahead of problems and understanding the different levels of competency on the boat and adjusting their support accordingly.

This.

I drive four hours from Tampa to get to Lauderdale and PB and just spent the weekend with ScubaTyme diving wrecks (Miracle of Life and Hydro Atlantic twice).

Jimmy is a great captain for ScubaTyme and he gauges his drops exceptionally well.

Nick and Eric are great DMs, too.

All have technical training and experience so you don’t have to worry about giving a rec captain or DM a crash course in technical diving just to have a productive conversation or solve a simple problem.

Both DMs earned their tips. I’m definitely NOT a diver who looks for valet service. They earned their tips by smoothly running the boat, staying alert and ahead of problems and understanding the different levels of competency on the boat and adjusting their support accordingly.

Jimmy Gadomski? Is he driving for ScubaTyme now?

Don’t know his last name but he used to work for PDC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom