Nakhon Si Thammarat and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dreams4divers:
Intrested too?
There must be good diving around there.
Any info would be good.

asked zillions of people but not got anything.
Was already in contact with some people from there and noone know anything so maybe there is nothing.

h90:
asked zillions of people but not got anything.
Was already in contact with some people from there and noone know anything so maybe there is nothing.

Nakorn Sri Thammarat has a couple of small islands off the coast where I have dived several times. The island group is named Ko Kra and has a main island with small beach but no accomodation, two smaller rocky islets just east off Ko Kra and a small pinnacle a bit further away.

It's a pretty "fishy" place and there are still quiite a few hawksbill turtles around. In very shallow water you can snorkel with small blacktip reef sharks; I've seen groups of 10 or more of them there. As soon as you go down with scuba though the sharks disappear. Also some nice hard coral gardens but also damage from trawlers and anchoring. The little pinnacle has good nudibranchs and great schooling fish. Water isn't super-clear; often close to the bottom a milky-white layer of colder murky water.
There are lots of anemones, harp corals, wire and whip corals and lots of staghorn and cabbage coral.
I once saw a large (lemon?)shark there that scared the heck out of me because it suddenly appeared out of the murky water just below me and disappeared in it just seconds later.
You must rent your own boat to get out there and bring all your own stuff; as far as I know no daytrips or dive operators venture out there at all.:D

thanks a lot for that great review!
The only thing I am really affraid is that my wife will kill me, when I buy a compressor and 2 tanks and keep that in the back of our car all the time......

Bowmouth:
Nakorn Sri Thammarat has a couple of small islands off the coast where I have dived several times. The island group is named Ko Kra and has a main island with small beach but no accomodation, two smaller rocky islets just east off Ko Kra and a small pinnacle a bit further away.

It's a pretty "fishy" place and there are still quiite a few hawksbill turtles around. In very shallow water you can snorkel with small blacktip reef sharks; I've seen groups of 10 or more of them there. As soon as you go down with scuba though the sharks disappear. Also some nice hard coral gardens but also damage from trawlers and anchoring. The little pinnacle has good nudibranchs and great schooling fish. Water isn't super-clear; often close to the bottom a milky-white layer of colder murky water.
There are lots of anemones, harp corals, wire and whip corals and lots of staghorn and cabbage coral.
I once saw a large (lemon?)shark there that scared the heck out of me because it suddenly appeared out of the murky water just below me and disappeared in it just seconds later.
You must rent your own boat to get out there and bring all your own stuff; as far as I know no daytrips or dive operators venture out there at all.:D

Back
Top Bottom