Nakaya - Worth the swim!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Attention lazy divers! The swim isn't THAT bad!

I'm sure this has been posted before but I enjoyed my last dive so much, I just had to post it!

Thursday night I swam out to the Nakaya (Porteau Cove - that marker WAY out there) and proceeded to have the most enjoyable dive of my short career. It was very dark and cold and the viz was about 15' which made it nice and creepy.

Dropping onto the stern of the old wooden ship, I was surprised at the poor condition of it. Most of the deck was gone exposing the innards which were full of life. The hull had lots of small holes in it with creature looking out at me (one hole was occupied by a large ling cod which scared the crap out of me when I shined my light in and saw the entire hole filled up by it's head). I saw a lot of creatures that I've never seen before and I really enjoyed tooting around the big old ship.

If you haven't done this dive yet, I highly recommend it, especially because I've been told that the wreck deteriorates significantly each year... get to it while it's still recognizable!

On a side note, my second dive was under the ferry dock where I found a little (8") octo that didn't mind hanging around and cuddling my hand. Awesome!

Sintax604 did you make it to the bow, there's a steel section that was the old gun placement.

Sintax604 did you make it to the bow, there's a steel section that was the old gun placement.

I did see that... I was horribly disappointed that the gun was gone. Any idea if it was removed before sinking or after? I can't see that it would have been an environmental hazard to leave it there.

Long gone, probably pulled off by the Naval Reserve after 1957, long before becoming a floating camp in 1979

Attention lazy divers! The swim isn't THAT bad!

I'm sure this has been posted before but I enjoyed my last dive so much, I just had to post it!

Thursday night I swam out to the Nakaya (Porteau Cove - that marker WAY out there) and proceeded to have the most enjoyable dive of my short career. It was very dark and cold and the viz was about 15' which made it nice and creepy.

Dropping onto the stern of the old wooden ship, I was surprised at the poor condition of it. Most of the deck was gone exposing the innards which were full of life. The hull had lots of small holes in it with creature looking out at me (one hole was occupied by a large ling cod which scared the crap out of me when I shined my light in and saw the entire hole filled up by it's head). I saw a lot of creatures that I've never seen before and I really enjoyed tooting around the big old ship.

If you haven't done this dive yet, I highly recommend it, especially because I've been told that the wreck deteriorates significantly each year... get to it while it's still recognizable!

On a side note, my second dive was under the ferry dock where I found a little (8") octo that didn't mind hanging around and cuddling my hand. Awesome!

I told you they were big!!:rofl3:

Scott has balls.

I gotta learn how to night dive without being freaked out. esp at porteau with them massive ling cods!

the biggest Octo I have ever seen was under the dock. It was massive

Sounds like fun, a buddy of mine are hoping to get there this weekend to putter around. Be my first BC dive since moving here. Anything of particular interest to keep an eye open for?

Back
Top Bottom