n2ition3 Compass + Windows 7 Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

priordiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am re-posting this as a new thread as I was not sure it would be seen in its original location....

I have two questions before I buy an n2Ition3 ...

1. Can anyone advise if the current software and downloader works under the 32 bit version of Windows 7?
2. Does anyone know what the "tilt limit" on the n2ition3 digital compass might be? I am hoping it remains accurate to about 45 deg....

Thanks to all!

Rob :confused:

I dont think it will make 45 degrees but I will check that today.
45 is a stretch for a single axis digi compass.
I call it a quick reference compass.
(Drop down the anchor line and go west to hit the reef)
If I was doing any complicated navigation I would go to a good ol' analog compass just because you can see the entire card.

We are testing download software for Windows 7 right now and the results will be posted on the download software thread this week.

My hopes are high but I've been disseminated before.

Great Thanks Gibby. I will await your compass "test" results and watch for the post in the software thread...... :) Rob

OK so after calibrating the compass i checked how it maintains the heading while being tilted and has surprised by the answer.

When oriented north or south the compass will maintain heading while being tilted to 45 degrees or more.

When oriented east or west the compass heading alters to about 30 degrees to the south as the tilt approached 45 degrees.

The higher the tilt angle the more offset there was to the heading.
The closer to north or south orientation the more accurate the heading remained.

Not what I expected but I'll refrain from being too critical since my wrist mounted analog compass wont read past 15 degrees of tilt before the card rubs the sight glass and stops turning.

Like I said before, I'd reserve it for quick reference navigation.

Great! Thanks. This is respectable performance!

I have been reading the Scuba lab reports for many of the new DC models. It is an interesting on-line read that the engineers at Zeagle might want to check out?

See: Digging Deep on 2009's New Dive Computers | Scuba Diving Magazine

The n2ition3 gets good reviews except in the area of the PC log software. Perhaps this could be looked at with a view to improvement? (a friendly suggestion!). Regardless, I have ordered an n2ition3 largely due to the great response I have received from this site! Clearly Zeagle cares about its customers and products which is often rare these days.

FYI, here is a quote from the "less than favorable" review of the PC log software for you folks to look at. Perhaps with a view to do some "upgrade tweaking":

Zeagle N2ition 3

PC Kit: Optional, $154.60
Software Tested: DiveLogBook, Version 1.1
Comments:
This is a very simple and bare bones program. It doesn’t come with a CD so you must download the software from Zeagle’s website, which isn’t a big deal. What could be a big deal to some divers is that I couldn’t get the DC to download on any XP computer; rather, I had to use a Vista computer. Once downloaded, I didn’t find a
lot of detail in the dive logs. Graphs are small and not very useful if you want to study the profile in great depth. Printouts are very basic and contain very little detailed information. It would be nice to have a choice of which information is shown and which is printed. I also could not print a dive index.

*Sherwood, Hollis and Oceanic dive computers use similar software products from a single supplier.

One last question .... The Zeagle website lists the n2ition3 as using the "12 compartment Swiss model algorithm", while the Scuba lab review indicates it uses the "Modified Buhlmann RGBM"!

Which is correct or are they the same thing with different names?

The "new" RGBM model is being touted by Suunto as it's companies latest development. Has Zeagle also adopted this "new" (and sometimes controversial) algorithm?

Thanks to everyone for all the help/patience in answering my questions! I am sure I will enjoy my new n2ition3 when it arrives next week. :)

Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom