mystery blenny in the Tropical West Atlantic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itziar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can anybody help with the ID of the blenny in this photograph? It was ~10 cm (4 inch) long. I spotted it at ~20m (~65ft) on the deck of an artificial wreck in the Gulf of Mexico (Veracruz). It was quite abundant, always hiding in holes, and close to seaweed blennies. I am running short of ideas to ID it... Is this a different coloration of seaweed blennies? I could not see the fine blue lines in the snout, and it had a dark red spot near the gills... Please send suggestions...

Itziar

I'd guess that it's just another color phase of seaweed blenny. The white line on the front of the dorsal fin makes me think it's a seaweed rather than a different combtooth blenny.

-Mark

yeah, I had a seaweed blenny a couple years back that was so brown, we started calling it the "chocolate blenny". After a few months, our lab began to think that "chocolate blenny" was a legitimate species.

Thanks, that is what I suspected. I thought that the seaweed blennies were supposed to have blue lines in the snout though, and this had none I could tell of. Archman, was your blenny a solid color all through the snout too?

Cheers,

Itziar

itziar:
I thought that the seaweed blennies were supposed to have blue lines in the snout though, and this had none I could tell of. Archman, was your blenny a solid color all through the snout too?

Solid brown snout. Of course, someone else made the ID on our particular animal. That person's smarter than me.

Execellent, thanks. And thanks KidK9 for the compliments on the picture. My husband will be happy about that one...

When IDing Blennies and Gobies, I'm often reminded of a line from an ornithologist friend. We were exploring some brush on Pt Reyes in California when I spotted a small interesting looking bird, turned to my friend and asked "what's that?"
She said, "That? Oh, that's an LGB"
Well, to me, an "LGB" is a "Laser Guided Bomb" so I said "Huh?..."
She said "Little Grey Bird."
Rick :)

We call 'em "LBB's" in Texas.

Little Brown Birds.

We had a 36 inch snapping turtle run across the road in front of us the other night and Rick thought it was a tick.

I tried to enhance the photo of the blenny to get some markings but it's too dark. From the face and positional behavior I would guess that it is a seaweed that's my guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom