My Weekend with Andrew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just had a very interesting two days of diving -- "My Weekend With Andrew" had many ups and downs.

Mr. Georgitis was kind enough to agree to watch/critique/molest(?) me and my two teammates (who shall remain nameless to protect the guilty) for two days. The goal of the dives was to help make all of us safer to do deeper, more tech-reational, diving.

The dives had multiple failures (valve/manifold; lost mask; OOG; broken wings/inflators) most of which occurred one after the other. (I think the "best" one was #1 had a left post failure; #2 then had no wing AND lost mask; #3 then was OOG.)

His goals were to see how well we knew our gear, how well we could manage it and how well we understood our teammates and their foibles.

I could say it was very humbling, but it really wasn't. I never got the sense that he was trying to show us how much he knew and how little we did -- BUT, to the contrary, he was trying to show us that if we gather the data, create a plan and then act on the plan we could be very safe divers. However, if we didn't gather the data and create a plan but just acted we could get into trouble.

While doing all these "malicious" things to us, he also videoed the mayhem. At the end of the dives, we then retreated to a warm cafe and went over the video seemingly frame-by-frame. What were we thinking -- what could have been a different response. In fact, most of the time we made the appropriate responses AND, over the two days, we all got better. Which is NOT to say I did very well. (Yes, he gave me my homework!!!)

Was this a class? No (I think, although he did mention I might get my NAUI OW cert in a year if I continue to get better). We had several people ask "What class are you taking?" But we were just taking diving lessons, not a class, no card in sight. It was just the chance to get some instructional insight from a very talented instructor.

----

PS I'm posting this here -- I hope it is appropriate. If not, please move the thread.

I must say ... when you and your nameless companions decide to take lessons, you sure have a penchant for seeking out quality instructors to teach them ... :D

But I am wondering ... if you gathered data, created a plan, and acted on it ... how'd you end up with all those simultaneous failures ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

if you gathered data, created a plan, and acted on it ... how'd you end up with all those simultaneous failures

Funny thing that. It just seemed like each time we acted on the current data "more data" would be made available!

LOL, sounds like you had quite the experience Peter :)

But I am wondering ... if you gathered data, created a plan, and acted on it ... how'd you end up with all those simultaneous failures ...

That's what happens when you dive with the wrong (or in this case, the right) people :)

How anybody can sneak up behind me and remove the dump valve cover from my wing without me knowing it just baffles me!

That's what happens when you dive with the wrong (or in this case, the right) people :)

How anybody can sneak up behind me and remove the dump valve cover from my wing without me knowing it just baffles me!

Ninja diving skills.

PS I'm posting this here -- I hope it is appropriate. If not, please move the thread.
It all depends on what it is you want to discuss and who do you want to be in on the discussion.

(Personally, it looks more like Technical Diving Specialties
topic (that just happens to have a DIR instructor), but it all depends on what your intent is)

Sounds like a great experience. :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom